Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Monday is a day to take note of here in California - I hope everyone in CA weighed-in on this, for those of use with cars that are newer than 1976 this would really bite if it goes through :mad:

GV

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
URGENT LEGISLATIVE ALERT (UPDATE)

California Bill to Require ANNUAL Emissions Tests for Vehicles
15-Years Old Moves to Senate Appropriations Committee

Legislation (A.B. 616) to require annual Smog check inspections for vehicles 15-years old and older has been approved by the California Assembly and the Senate Transportation Committee. The bill now moves to the Senate Appropriations Committee for consideration on August 20th. A.B. 616 would also require that funds generated through the additional inspection fees be deposited into an account which can be used to scrap older cars. You may recall that in 2004 a new law was enacted in California to require the lifetime testing of all 1976 and newer model-year vehicles. Pre-1976 motor vehicles would remain exempt under A.B. 616.

We Urge You to Contact Members of the Senate Appropriations Committee (List Below) Immediately to Oppose A.B. 616

A.B. 616 ignores the minimal impact vintage cars have on air quality.

A.B. 616 could entice vintage car owners into allowing these vehicles to be scrapped.

A.B. 616 ignores the fact that vehicles 15-years old and older still constitute a small portion of the overall vehicle population and are a poor source from which to look for emissions reduction.

A.B. 616 ignores the fact that classic vehicles are overwhelmingly well-maintained and infrequently driven.

A.B. 616 would increase costs by creating an annual inspection fee for owners of these vehicles.

A.B. 616 represents another attempt by California legislators and regulators to scapegoat older cars.
Please contact members of the California Senate Appropriations Committee immediately by phone, fax or e-mail to request their opposition to A.B. 616.

Please e-mail a copy of your letter to [email protected]. Thank you for your assistance.

Senate Appropriations Committee

Senator Tom Torlakson (Chair)
Phone: (916) 651-4007
Email: [email protected]

Senator Dave Cox (Vice Chair)
Phone: (916) 651-4001

Senator Samuel Aanestad
Phone: (916) 651-4004

Senator Roy Ashburn
Phone: (916) 651-4018

Senator Jim Battin
Phone: (916) 651-4037

Senator Gilbert Cedillo
Phone: (916) 651-4022

Senator Ellen Corbett
Phone: (916) 651-4010

Senator Robert Dutton
Phone: (916) 651-4031

Senator Dean Florez
Phone: (916) 651-4016

Senator Sheila Kuehl
Phone: (916) 651-4023

Senator Jenny Oropeza
Phone: (916) 651-4028

Senator Mark Ridley-Thomas
Phone: (916) 651-4026

Senator George Runner
Phone: (916) 651-4017

Senator Joe Simitian
Phone: (916) 651-4011

Senator Darrell Steinberg
Phone: (916) 651-4006

Senator Mark Wyland
Phone: (916) 651-4038

Senator Leland Yee
Phone: (916) 651-4008

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
This legislation has nothing to do with scrapping old cars but rather with getting more revenue or forcing owners into buying newer cars and receiving fees that way. One of the many things I hate about living in California.

·
Registered
357 Posts
smog

i am doomed! seems like every time calf. passes a stupid law , chicago or illinois passes a stricter one. just to prove we are on the cutting edge

·
Registered
5,457 Posts
$#^$%^ #@[email protected]#$$%. Ha, bet you can't guess that one! This article is already floating around the bb since spring, but its nice to get a reminder.

What pissed me off even more is the other day, I got a letter from the EPA asking if I wanted to scrap my 71' Spider for $200 or something like that. I was so angry and I wanted to write them a nasty letter. I mean, how rude is that??

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Makes me want to go buy a tired 69 pickup with worn rings and valve seals (like the one I was behind again the other day that stunk to the high heavens), and I'll just chug that around all day - or maybe I should just give up on the v6 go buy something like a 74 Spider, add some headers high compression pistons, high lift cams ... :)

·
Registered
503 Posts
I love my diesel Mercedes - sometime when i pull away from a light and give it the gas, i leave a big cloud of smoke, some drives stay far way from me because of the smell or they are just scared of the smoke
i love it:D

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
It's very good news for now; just get ready for the same stupidity next year.

Next thing to work on is getting the 'rolling 30' reinstated. As of 2004, the 30-year smog check exemption was frozen, to start in 2006. Now instead of exempting every vehicle 30 years or older, it's been frozen at Jan. 1, 1976. I doesn't affect my 1970, but it's just as idiotic as annual tests for 15-year olds.

But even with all that, if you're in Ohio or Poland or wherever else you think you've got it so much better than we do in California, you can check back with us next January or February, and we'll compare driving notes...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts