Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have Weber DCOE 45 152 on my TS 2000 using an AHM intake manifold. I am using the jetting that they came with except for the Idle jets. I am having trouble at idle and just off idle.
At slow speeds the O2 meter shows very lean and at idle it goes from lean to rich , lean to rich. I looked for air leaks and found none. I have tried richer and richer jets to the end of the 55 jets and no luck.

I am wondering if the standard 12.5mm float setting is right for my setup.
Is there a angle that Webers must sit at? If they are not at the right angle can you adjust the floats to fix the situation. Has anyone with the AHM manafold have this problem?

The motor loves to go with this setup just not slow.

Dave munro
1969 Spider jr TS

·
Registered
750 Posts
I don't know whar kind of Webers you got,but if they have the brass float the distance of the float to the cover held vertically with the float tongue just touching the needle valve, should be about 7-8mm.
Max carb inclination should not exceed 5* from level.
Try idle jets from 50F8, 50F9, 55F8, 55F9, 60F8 and 60F9,even 65F8 and 9. Check for smooth engine response no load, when turning idle screw from 900 to 2300rpm. There is no rule for idle jet choice, just trial and error. I assume you have properly set the individual mixture screws!Good luck!
Jim K.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Webers I got last year are model 152 and have plastic floats. The spec I have is 12.5mm from the bottom tipof the float to the top of the boal cover with gasket in place.
Is there a spec for fuel depth from the top as a check? I will have to measure the angle of the Carbs but I would think they sit at more than 5*.

I just stopped to read page 84 of A Graham Bell's book Performance Tuning in Theory and Practice and I found
"In some applications the manifold manufacture finds it necessary to change the angle, so the carburattor will clear some part of the body or exhaust system. When this is done , a special float leve is required.The manifold Manufacturer should tell you what setting is required when you buy his manifold."

I must have read this at some time in the past but not needed the information at the time . So I will need to talk to AHM or the guy who put the TS in my car. Right that would be me Does any one know the angle that a TS engine should sit at? All 4 cyl ALFA engines slope down to the intake side do they not? I would think it must be somthing to do with my instalation or others would have the same problem. That is if this is the cause. I used the motor mounts that came with my TS because they are a bit lower than the 105/115 mounts.

Well off the the garage with the level and a protractor.

David Munro
1967 Spider jr TS

P.S. Someone should write a book about all this ALFA stuff.

·
Registered
298 Posts
How does it run?

Which cams are you using and how does it perform from idle and off idle? Bruce Colby mentioned to me, if I'm recalling correctly from my phone conversation, that idle is a problem without the variable programmable ignition system. Rocking of the engine might vary the intake mixture also. If my foot goes up and down from car lurch I have to pull my foot off the accelerator pedal to straighten out my webers and then start over with my carbed two liter.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Confused

I saw your comment about it loves to go, but are you using the original cams with the variable intake cam sprocket? Please post pictures of your engine bay, and how is it running over the rest of the range?

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Standard Cams

I am using the Standard Cams for now.
I tried the VVT but it does not seem to do much. I have an rpm "window " switch that turns on and off a preset rpm but I don't think I will end up using it.

As soon as I get on the gas the motor runs great. I will be putting it on the dyno next month to find out how great. And to see if it can make any more power.

Can you tell me how to post photos ? If so I will.

Dave

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
Dave,

Hit either the quote or the post reply button and type whatever you want in the way of text in the box. You then scrool down into the Additional Options section and click on Manage attachments. Click on the browse button and find the image on your machine. Then click on upload. Once that is finished and the pop up windon closes, hit the submit reply. If that worked, you should see the picture.

69alfa said:
I am using the Standard Cams for now.
I tried the VVT but it does not seem to do much. I have an rpm "window " switch that turns on and off a preset rpm but I don't think I will end up using it.

As soon as I get on the gas the motor runs great. I will be putting it on the dyno next month to find out how great. And to see if it can make any more power.

Can you tell me how to post photos ? If so I will.

Dave

Attachments

·
Registered
298 Posts
posting photos

When you post a reply, hit manage attachments and then you can "browse" to your photos and attach them. They can't be too big, over 100,000 or the website won't take them. Jim Steck says we can get regrinds which he thinks are better than new with the technology available in the USA. I'm getting the performance street, similar to old time Shankle cams which will be supposedly cheaper than the C&B cams from Euroville. Jim says two week turnover on the cams, so I'm optimistic. I picked up a 155 cylinder head which will look cleaner, but it's an experiment. An educated experiment. I'll be the guinea pig and let you know. The following is of a F.I. 155 head, but mine will be carbed. Note the water custom piping. I won't exhaust out the head as in the turbo you see. I'm just exhausting out the sides. Jim has done flow testing and says the port cut out for the F.I. injectors will make no difference for carbs. After I have my 155 manifold, I'll have the option later of playing around with the addition of a TWM induction setup.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts