Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all - just had spica replaced by webers. The webers present a challenge in trying find filts to fit. They are so tight to the wall that I don't seem to be able to find filter housing etc... that fit the confinded area. Ant thoughts or recomendations??? THanks

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Just get some of these little dudes and call it good.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I have K&N filters on mine.

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
Just get some of these little dudes and call it good.

Yes, those are vastly better than these if you go the on~carb filter route.
The screens above at least flow halfway decently while the style below will literally suffocate things due to that solid plate lid being so close to the throat openings.

FWIW, I run the screen type on my ITB's currently.
They create about 1 ~ 1 1/2psi change in vacuum from open air to fully installed.

·
Premium Member
14,805 Posts
But they are as noisy as hell. The novelty of induction roar wore off pretty quickly with me. Maybe there is little alternative if you have a SPICA manifold, but a Euro manifold, plenum and airbox is a much better solution. I like to hear the exhaust note.

·
Premium Member
1,727 Posts
I had the K&N's on my 71. Since they came with the car I can't comment on the difference in performance, but I can tell you that they are indeed "Noisy as Hell" and maybe then some. Dirtbike noisy. I purchased a Euro filter from Guru in Romania and was pleased with what I got. Shipping takes some time but isn't expensive. Recommended.

My car is up on jackstands right now undergoing suspension work so I can't comment on the sound reduction but I know I won't be sucking in hot air from under the hood any more.

Note - be sure that you look under the hood and choose the right cone end for your euro filter. There are two different styles. Even then, in my case I had to move the coil and make a few changes anyhow.

·
Registered
1969 Alfa Spider 1750 veloce.
1,051 Posts
Mine came with KN set up-a bit too noisy. I have since put in a stock euro set up and now I can hear the exhaust....

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
I tried the K&N and found that any side mounted filter other than a stock euro or the Sprint filter that is positioned horizontally on an upwardly curved airhorn can be troublesome. I'm with Ed and Lokki on the euro factory parts. My two carb'd engines, even with new engine and transmission mounts, rocked enough that the K&N filters hit the engine bay and caused fatigue failure of the brace and the carbs to loosen from the manifold. This results in poor lean running. The sprint is sold by IAP and others, but is a bit spendy, currently $540.00! It's next best after stock Alfa.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,727 Posts
Well they suck hot air from next to the engine rather than cold air through the snorkle an they have less filter surface area through which to pull air for the engine - see Tifosi's comment above.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
So if I understand it write, staying with the original filter is the better option?
Saar, the write choice depends on whether you pencil in carbs for a car that was originally fuel injected, but to make it simple, the answer is yes, for several reasons, the stock air cleaner is best. :)

Euro is the round tubular stock equipment on European cars with webers. Spica or bosch cars in the US had a variation that works best on those cars. I don't like K&N on any car. I would be tickled to trade a set of K&N filters to anyone for their stock (carbs) filter setup.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Ok, I didn't know that. I was sure the K&N are much better and about to replace my stock filter with them at the end of the restoration of my spider (which btw, has stock dellorto carbs)
thanks.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I've got four Shankle Air Horns for the Spica Throttle bodies I'll sell for $100.00 + shipping if anyone is Interested. Shankle put a great big red plastic air filter in front of these when his system was sold. I think he knew best in those days. They are great air horns but they need a filter house of some kind.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts