Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's your preference? I'm seeing a lot of people going from dellorto straight to weber carbs, but why?

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,496 Posts
Very true. But given what's been happening with Alfa values these days, personally I'd suggest keeping a car with Dellorto's original if at all possible.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Very true. But given what's been happening with Alfa values these days, personally I'd suggest keeping a car with Dellorto's original if at all possible.
Don't know about the US, but in Europe that wouldn't make any difference to the value, may even enhance, for the reasons that Richard stated earlier.

Steve

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
In production Weber, Dell'Orto and Solex carbs was fitted randomly - most Webers. So I don't think that values will differ. As far as I know parts for Solex are scares but gasket is available. I googled Dell'Orto parts and gots these results https://www.google.dk/search?q=dell'orto+carburatori+ricambi&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&gws_rd=cr&ei=VoovVZvNG4_nauuygcgI
Weber parts gave this https://www.google.dk/search?q=weber+carburatori+ricambi&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&gws_rd=cr&ei=JosvVaudDcaosAHBgoGgAg
All the usual suppliers of classic Alfa parts have lot of Weber parts and some for the two others.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, so values not really a change, but what perks have you found? I've noticed dellorto doesn't seem to have quite the range of emulsion tubes weber does, but there has to be pros and cons each way eh?

·
Registered
870 Posts
I deal with many sets of Webers per year as a part of my living, and can get almost all parts next day from several UK sources, not AC or AH.
Not so with Dellorto.
Nothing wrong with the carb at all, but parts more difficult to source , less sources, and tend to be more expensive too.

Some say that the Dellorto has more forgiving progression and I'd probably agree, but the parts availability and price outweigh that issue for me.

Steve

·
Premium Member
13,994 Posts
There is a wealth of literature on Weber carburetors. I have on my bookshelf:
Weber Carburettors Volume 1 - John Passini
Weber Carburettors Volume 2 - John Passini
Weber Carburetors - Pat Braden
Weber Carburetors - Haynes Manual
Weber Factory Tuning Manual
Weber factory service Manual

I also have:
How to build and Power Tune Weber and Dellorto Carburetors - Des Hammill

Does anyone know of any other books on Dellorto's?

·
Super Moderator
10,592 Posts
I deal with many sets of Webers per year as a part of my living, and can get almost all parts next day from several UK sources, not AC or AH. Not so with Dellorto. Nothing wrong with the carb at all, but parts more difficult to source ,
I have not found a source for Dellorto parts here in North America, so GTA R's above comment is even more of a factor here. I am aware of several U.S. sources for Weber parts.

Dazz didn't tell us where he is located, but if he is in N. America, parts availability could decide it.

·
Super Moderator
11,556 Posts
Part of my normal restoration work on Alfa components for street and race is restoration of Weber's of most all vintages. I am often asked if I "can" do restorations on other than Webers, and the answer is "Yes I can, but I will not." This is due to TIME required to source parts and resolve various "issues" with other systems. I have seen about every failure or fault in the Weber system, and can resolve those with realistic labor time and charges. Not so with other systems. The 1960 Weber 40DCOE2's pictured below were very incomplete and very tired on arrival from Mike Besic. 2 weeks later, they are ready to go back on a 1960 1300 Spider Veloce, and look and perform as new.

Attachments

·
Registered
957 Posts
Just rebuilt a set Dellorto's.
Had to go to four sources for parts if you include those I fabricated myself.
Some of the old pieces you would expect to be brass were badly corroded aluminum.

Some replacement pieces are now brass, a few are steel.
I had to make a couple of choke shaft bushings from scratch using a lathe and mill as they are NLA.
Metric threads on a manual lathe are a PITA.
Some of the Dellorto downdrafts are still well supported (VW use) but DHLA's really are not, particularly in the U.S.

Despite this I see lot of ads asking close to new Weber prices for tired DHLA's.
Most are the "Emission" version from Jensen Healey/Lotus cars and so the worst version you could get.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Good points gang,

Next question,
I'm looking at a step up on an 1800 alfetta, and I have a spare set of 45dcoe13's I'm considering fitting along with a reasonable set of valve springs.

Is it too much for a pretty much standard motor?
What can one expect out of the change in carbs and cleaning up intake to suit?

Cheers in advance

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,496 Posts
I would think that's probably too much carb for a standard 1800 motor, yes. Alfa fitment for the 1800 (and even the 2L) was 40DOCEs with 32mm chokes.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
So what will stepping up my 40mm dellorto standard choke size get me?

My issue (at a guess) I'm possibly running out of breath above 5000 :p

1 - 17 of 17 Posts