Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After struggling with intake leaks from the DPO's mangling of the isolators, I opted to go with a new Weber mounting hardware. This includes Thackery washers. The instructions state that there's a certain gap necessary between the coils. That's all well and good up top, but I can barely reach the bottom studs, let alone see them. How can I accurately set the gap on these? I'm using nylock nuts, so I can't even feel when they're beginning to snug down. What's the secret? Mirrors?

·
Premium Member
71 Berlina 74 GTV 17 Giulia Q4
6,471 Posts
Is this with a spica manifold? I struggled with this for years on my spider. Even in perfect tune it seemed to spit back through the O rings whenever it felt like it. I finally started collecting euro stuff and put it all together. Man O Mighty, what a difference! It ran way better, smoother, cold and warm, great idle, everything. But back to the washers, you could tighten one down thats on top and count the flats it takes to have the coils spaced and not jamed together and use that number for the bottom ones and cofirm with a mirror. Also it seemed to me that once it fired back through an O ring that O ring was more susceptible to spitting back.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is this with a spica manifold?

Spica with an adapter plate. In my case, there's some spitting, but the worst thing is the whistling. I realize that a Weber manifold is ideal, but I'm tapped out on Spider funds right now and I need to make do with what I've got.

I'll see what I can do with mirrors.

·
Premium Member
14,000 Posts
The spec is .025" between coils so that is about .050" total which is close to 1mm which is one turn of the nut. So you could tighten the nut until it just binds then back it off one turn. Try it on a top one first to get the feel of it.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The spec is .025" between coils so that is about .050" total which is close to 1mm which is one turn of the nut. So you could tighten the nut until it just binds then back it off one turn. Try it on a top one first to get the feel of it.
Hey. That's smart. I'll give that a try.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts