Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to replace the rubber Carburetor mounts on my 1600. Mine are about 15 or more years old. The engine bucks during deceleration. There is a slight change if I spray cleaner at the mounts and I see surface cracks. What are the benefits or pros and cons to using the piece mount or the 4 piece mounts as original? I admit I have been keeping the car all original since I bought it from my Dad in 1976. But I like the idea of the 3 piece mounts?

Any input is beneficial..

Al

·
Registered
6,808 Posts
Yes, I found this out the hard way.....The dual mount is thicker than mounts from other sources/makers. Original type Pirelli rubber mounts can last 20 years...."new" ones..who knows.

·
Super Moderator
11,556 Posts
The center siamese mount stabilizes and reduces wear on the balance link between the Webers. You will often see a wear divot on the "paddle" rear Weber link side that can effect balance between the two Webers.

This is an extreme example. Further, you cannot replace this side with the current version from the Spanish Webers as it has a different center of rotation and either welding repair on the worn one, or replacement of both sides using the Spanish balance link is the correct fix. The siamese center rubber insulator / isolator considerably slows wear. The possible different thicknesses of single and siamese rubbers can be corrected with the use of different thickness gaskets,
For concourse show, the older 1600's all used 4 individual insulator / isolators.

·
Premium Member
896 Posts
How positive is the "carb cleaner spray" method for testing our soft mounts for leakage?

There must be other options

·
Super Moderator
11,556 Posts
WD-40. Another EXCITING option is spray starting fluid, though I won't try that one. You can try bending the soft mount and look for cracks. Any external cracking on the surface is a sure sign they are on the way out. Sometimes, the softer grey gasket to Weber and to manifold will "burn out". Actually they sort of dissolve from a combination of air leak (You did use a good gasket sealant, didn't you?) and air pulses through the Weber.
Changes of idle mix setting NEEDED over time is another clue there might be an air leak.

·
Super Moderator
10,592 Posts
I admit I have been keeping the car all original since I bought it from my Dad in 1976. But I like the idea of the 3 piece mounts?
Are you still running bias-ply tires on the car? Using single viscosity oil? Come on, some deviations from originality are OK when better components have been developed and the single mount for ports #2 & 3 is such an improvement. Only an unreasonable concours judge would subtract points for this subtle upgrade.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Alfajay asked: Are you still running bias-ply tires on the car?

I would guess that his father's car came with radial tires. I bought my first set pirelli Cinturatos back in 1963. I was living in Sacramento Ca. in the Air Force at the time. Buy the way they cost $29.00 (each) out the door at that time. A number of times I would get people (in traffic) tell me that I had flat tires. The tire style is known as the CA67 these days. I don't remember if there were other styles at that time. I do remember that at that time Pirelli tried to come up with a really new technically advanced tire. The tire had replaceable tread belts. The idea was, after you wore down the tire tread you could buy just a belt (maybe there was more then one per tire, I can't remember) and they would deflate the tire, replace the tread and inflate the tire again. Hopefully rebalence it and send you on your way. I don't think this idea was a winner. They took them off the market shortly after I saw the ad. After I got my new tires mounted (had the same tires on the car before) the car seemed so different. It seems to dance like a ballerina down the road. I remember because it made such an impression on me as a 21 year old. This was the car (1959 Conrero Veloce Spider) that I drove from Fl. to Ca. and Ca. to Fl. twice. Oh, to be young and invincible again.
But that's a whole nother story.

·
Registered
8,075 Posts
I do remember that at that time Pirelli tried to come up with a really new technically advanced tire. The tire had replaceable tread belts.
the Pireli BS3 ('59 Turin motor show)
the actual idea behind it was you could change between summer and winter tread.

Pirelli_BS3.jpg

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, I have a dimple on the Male side of the Balancer. OKP had 2 styles and I have used them before with very quick turn around. I just ordered a replacement from OKB with the female side and 2 Rear Brake Slave cylinders, I do have 155 X SR15 Vandersteens. I used to have 165 but went to original size. I will be going with the 3 piece at Centerline for the mounts. I do not agree with the thin paper gaskets, I want something a little thicker.
Thank you all for your input.

Al

·
Super Moderator
11,556 Posts
Sometimes you need a combo of thick and thin gaskets to get the rubbers the same length. Good thick ones are available from Pierce Manifolds in CA.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts