Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a 1972 Spider (2L) that had a Weber DCOE conversion. It runs well.

However, I bought a set of Shankle headers for this car, and the headers have threaded ports on each exhaust pipe (see attached pix).
Obviously I have to plug these holes, but what size threads are they??

Has anyone had this same situation, and if so, what did you use to plug those threaded holes in the
exhaust tubes?

Thanks.

Shankle headers-2 arrows.jpg

20210223_172047 arrows.jpg

20210223_172043.jpg

·
Registered
635 Posts
Run some bolts in the hole and check. Plug with socket head bolt with copper washer.

·
Registered
4,882 Posts
1/4 in. pipe plugs. Be sure to put some anti-sieze on them when installing.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Maybe the Shankle headers used different sized ports, although I find that hard to believe.
I found an old post on AlfaBB (?2006) saying 8mm-1.25 -- but no way. I can JUST START a 9/16-fine tap into the threads, but it doesn't go more than 3/4 turn.
Must be metric, OR a pipe thread, although 1/4 pipe is too small (well, I better try it before I say anything -- but it seems it might be more like 3/8 pipe??)
Need to check.

In regards to trying bolts, well, I tried anything close that I have at home, and carrying the headers into a Lowes/Home Depot is kinda awkward, ya kno'. May have to resort to that, though.

I wonder if Shankle is still in business.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
To answer my own question about Shankle, from a forum thread back in 2014, "Shankle merged with AR Ricambi a long, long time ago ".

·
Registered
4,882 Posts
The ports on the Shankle Headers are the same as on the cast iron. The reason being is so the air injection pipe could be used where smog checks were in force. Where they were not used, the ports could be plugged. Go to your local hardware store, and buy 4 - 1/4 pipe plugs, try one to see if it twists in. If it does put some antiseize on them, and go for a nice drive.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts