Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I would define my question being a tick rather than a spit, however searching the forums for "spit" did help me find a few interesting posts. Certainly a helpful one on tuning.

Anyway, maybe it's just a tuning/balancing thing, but on occasion I can hear a sporadic "tick" coming, I'm pretty certain, from the carburetor(s). After starting the engine and letting it idle, just every now then there's a tick. I can hear it also sometimes under acceleration, but it's most easily presented listening to the engine at idle. This is on the stock 40DCOE32's on my 1750.

Thought to ask.. but again, maybe they just need some tweaking... I have not tinkered with any of the adjusting screws.... yet! ;)

·
Super Moderator
11,337 Posts
If it did not do this, and now started doing this, DO NOT mess with the Webers. First carefully check your ignition system, if points and condenser system, replace, reset and try new plugs and reset timing. Don't ignore secondary wiring. If ignition is 100%, check valve clearances, chain tension, and timing. The "sneeze" through the Webers is, more often than not, a sign something ELSE needs work. They are only the messenger.
From my experience.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If it did not do this, and now started doing this, DO NOT mess with the Webers. First carefully check your ignition system, if points and condenser system, replace, reset and try new plugs and reset timing. Don't ignore secondary wiring. If ignition is 100%, check valve clearances, chain tension, and timing. The "sneeze" through the Webers is, more often than not, a sign something ELSE needs work. They are only the messenger.
From my experience.
Thanks Gordon, you've chipped in on both my recent queries! Thanks very much!! Yes, they never did do this... however that's before I pulled the head and changed the head gasket... just a few variables at play now!!! So it sounds like I've got a few things to look into... I did just replace the spark plugs but no change there.

Anyway, I'll work through things systematically... really appreciate the input. Maybe I'll tackle my speedo cable first!! ;)

Thanks again.

A.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts