Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone, I signed up to this board because it appears to be the only anglophone BB that makes sense of the Italian mystery :)

I'm trying to help a friend get his car back on the road, it has a cracked carb body and we're having a lot of trouble finding a replacement.
As the subject mentions it's a Weber 36 DR1, the car is the Rappi bodied 1100S mille Miglia Berlinetta built in 1947.
I'm surprised it has such an old carb; the late Lancia Artenas were using the DR1 much earlier than 1947, so Fiat can't have had anything newer sitting around at the time.

Later 1100S models (such as the pininfarina bodies ones) used the 36 DR2 or 3; he would like to keep his original, but could see his way to using a later carb just to be able to put the car on the "road" (or showground).
If anyone knows of a 36 DR1 or possibly 2 or 3 I (he) would be very grateful.
Many thanks,
Luke

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply Alex.
I really wouldn't have thought of looking at an auction house for such things, I'll contact them.

Goodness you have a lot of stuff for sale, impressive! Doesn't your other half stop you from accumulating? Mine certainly does ;-)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The nice man at Bonhams has apparently already received a huge offer for those three carbs since the Goodwood sale, and the original buyer said no, they're already mounted on their respective cars. :-(
The search continues...

·
Registered
5,979 Posts
I knew they were cheap! The truth is that I only walked into the tent with about a minute to spare before that lot was due to be auctioned, and there was not enough time to arrange registration as a bidder. Good luck in your search. Demand seems to be so high for these things that I wonder why nobody has thought of commissioning a set of patterns, or approaching Weber themselves for a fresh production run.

PS: Accumulation is merely a state of mind :). I am fortunate to have enough storage space (for now) but I concede that the inspection of new parts on the kitchen table does tend to cause minor eruptions from time to time .....!!

PPS: I just remembered that there is (or used to be) a guy in the north of England (perhaps a retired pattern maker?) who used to make new carbs. I'll PM you some information which may help to track him down.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts