Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys - hope everyone is off to a good start on their Saturday. Now that I have the Berlina home the sorting out can start. One item to that I'd like to get sorted is her weak handbrake. Any tips or tricks here to pass along?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
969 Posts
Advice from someone who has done only one car (GTV) - Replace everything. Adjust carefully. Wear off the corners of the handbrake pads so they don't drag so you can adjust the pads properly. I did everything but the brake cable but found that it had stretched so much over the years that I needed a new one of those too.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks Gene - sounds like a plan. So nothing overly quirky then?

Will give the adjusters a try first...

BTW I'm next door in Lake Forest.

·
Premium Member
969 Posts
Hey tdskip - You are welcome to come over and check things out. Drop me a PM sometime you are free. Happy to have an Alfa person close by!

Car is up right now with the rear on ramps and front on stands so I can't pull a rear wheel off though. At least I can now use the handbrake when trying to stay still on a hill but in order to park on a hill I do have to really pull up hard on the handle to get it to catch tight enough to stay put. Definitely not the same as a new car!

·
Premium Member
22,170 Posts
There are star adjusters on each rear handbrake drum, just like any other drum brake, and another adjuster on the cable, on the underside by the driveshaft, near where the handle pokes through the tunnel. Adjust the starts first, then the cable, to get a good grip on the rack teeth about halfway up.
Andrew

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Andrew

1 - 6 of 6 Posts