Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks to all who posted and for Simon to agree to an A/C forum will make a good addition to the ABB, we're now good to go with questions, comments, and answers.

I hope this forum will inspire more folks to repair their Alfa A/C systems rather than yanking out all of the equipment.

There are some great threads on A/C here, probably the best and most detailed (that I know of) was started by sidewaysalfa/Paul Blankenship in the Alfetta & GTV6 forum. Probably should make a link to that thread as a separate 'New Topic'. I've not done this before, but will try later.

I do want to add here that there is refrigerant available for a reasonable price which will work on the older systems that used Freon. It is available on the Internet, is sort of an underground product - Industrial 12A, and is strictly a do it yourself product. But keep that in mind if you're planning on resurrecting an older system. Though must warn you that most likely your compressor's front seal is shot by now.

I forget which is larger and which is smaller, but the low and high side connections on the Freon compressors are different than on the later compressors which require 134 refrigerant. sideways/Paul went the 134 refrigerant route and started from scratch by instaling a complete A/C system in his Alfetta GT. That's why it is such a good and helpful read.

As the rain has just begun to fall here...nevertheless I do know it won't be long before I break down and install my new condenser and larger push fan I bought late last Fall.

Biba

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
:( Guess my idea of a "Lubrication" forum didn't fly :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1976 Alfetta GT, 2018 Giulia Sport
1,781 Posts
My A/C Story

The original thread is at: http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/alfetta-gtv6-1975-1986/90884-new-c-my-alfetta-problems.html Here is the short version:
The '76 Alfetta never had A/C so I started from scratch with all new components, except the Alfa evaporator. - Evaporator (inside the car) from a GTV6/Alfetta GT, not Behr.

Stuff I bought:
- New Compressor - bolts to the Alfa bracket (on the cyl head) SCS/Frigette this new one weighs 5 lb less than the original from 26 to 21lbs Is rotary, not piston so it works smooth.
- New drier SCS/Frigette
- New Condensor (the "radiator" part) 12x20 from Racewayparts.com, mfg is Northern
- 2 new electric fans one push, one pull
- replaced the worn out blower fan (the part that blows air in the car) with a better, bigger motor Frigette 209-101). It has internal speed control so I eliminated the Alfa 3-wire resistor with some new wiring done inside the car.
- Wiring from Papajam's helpful drawings and photos. I'm using the diagram for the GTV-6 Tropical A/C. I made all new wiring including a new relay and power supply in the engine compartment.

My local A/C shop did "custom" hoses after I installed the above stuff.
To mount the compressor I used the Alfa bracket+tensioner that bolts to the Cyl head, it is driven from its own belt.

All of this can be yours for about $1,000.

I think the most important thing for good A/C is in car air movement, LOTS of air movement. My bigger fan motor made a difference compared to the one Alfa supplied. But check out a modern car to really see the difference in air movement. I couldn't figure out how to put in a 2nd fan for more air movement.
Second is how much heat you can eliminate from the cabin. Insulate the floor and firewall with new insulation. Scrape out the old stuff.
Good luck.:cool:

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
My '76 Alfetta had A/C, appeared to be factory. I pulled it out, though.

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
James, are you bragging about this, or just stating a fact?

Hardly a comparison, but the original Mercedes Gullwing's came with no A/C. Generally on a car this rare (1,600 made) and valuable, owner's don't vary from originality, but many owner's have retrofitted A/C in their's.

Perhaps Alfetta's will never increase in value - though I believe they will eventually, at least to a certain extent - having factory A/C will be considered a valuable option.

Biba

·
Registered
13 Posts
Sad Facts

No, Biba, it was a sad fact. The compressor had seized, and at the time I had not the resources or desire to keep such a system. My current Alfa 90 also has A/C, and I will make it work, hell or high water.
Failure to fix something is hardly a bragging point.
A user had stated/asked if these were ever factory fitted. IMHO, it was.
Regards

1 - 8 of 8 Posts