Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yup! Wednesday is my darling wifes' birthday so she got a pretty nice 92 164 S today. It has about 135,000 miles, dressed in black with a tan interior, sweeet sounding exhaust and a few problems! :eek:

Many, many thanks to gt601 who gave us the tip on this car! Thanks Dude!:D

I haven't had much of a chance to look at it very close but initial thoughts are very positive. We drove it home after it has sat in a driveway for a year, the tires are flatspotted....do they ever come back round?

First problem is the clutch pedal, it engages very low and sometimes it sticks so you have to lift it with your foot. One time on the brief drive home my wife said she put the pedal to the floor and nothing happened!!:eek:

I'll take some pictures tomorrow...too dark out now to see a black car!!

·
Registered
95 Posts
re: tyres - yes they come back to being round, make sure you air them up and give the car a nice long drive to warm up the rubber. I'm starting to think my own driveway queen won't need a wheel alignment at all now - simply driving it and putting the right pressure in the tyres is sorting things out nicely.

I'd say your clutch is just a bit stick from under use. Bleed the hydraulics and use the gears a lot - it'll come good.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Regarding the clutch not coming back up, check the slave cylinder. I had this happen to me, the rubber boot had split and leaked the fluid out. This was also preceded by the brake warning light on the dash illuminating.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Nice find!

Also regarding the clutch pedal not coming back up - I removed the pot-shaped damper from under my air filter, and that solved that problem for me. The hose that screws into the damper can fit directly into the slave cylinder instead.

-Alex

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
The pedal comes back up from the return spring force in the clutch. If you are not getting return, then one of a very limited number of things could be happening: 1) clutch isn't working at all (not likely), 2) slave is leaking, spilling fluid all over trans. housing (also not likely if you haven't noticed it), or 3) clutch master is leaking internally so it isn't pushing fluid out to slave to actuate clutch

I'd have thought that 3) was the only reasonable option without fluid dribbling down the transmission housing from a leaky slave, but Alex reports a damper return flow problem. I'd never have guessed that could happen and still don't understand it. So I'd suggest the clutch master isn't really doing its job. It's a pain to replace, but not impossible. The worst part of it for me was re-connecting the master cylinder to the pedal mounting point. The pin is a pain to re-fit.

Congratulations on the new car. May it do you well for years.

Michael

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
HA HA HA !!!

SUCKER!!!!!

Just kidding.:D

Congrats! You just couldn't wait could you? I have an extra clutch slave hose if you need it. It may be swollen and not letting fluid come back. (Internal swelling.Like what happened in your britches that got you three sticky kids:eek:)

Lets see some pictures Mr Photgrapher....

Still waiting for a return e-mail to what all has been done on her.

Paul

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
Alright, this is tomorrow, and it's already dark and I don't see any pics! :mad: So, I'm going to hold off congratulating you until you get your act together and show us what you got! :D

Best regards,

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Good Lord guys...give me a break! I have excuses.......kids, wife, job. HAHAHA

Paul....the wife wanted the car NOW. We drove up Sunday after church in the ole mini-van, did the deal and she drove it home!:eek:

Anyway here's the latest. I have the car in the garage so nice pics will have to wait. The clutch is leaking at the slave cylinder, dripping fluid everywhere just like Michael says...I can fix that.
Paul, if you have a hose let me know or I will just order one when I order the slave. I will be in da'Ville Saturday morning at Highbaughs. Looks like the dampner is already gone, I don't see one!! I have a water leak...I'll start another thread on it so please feel free to chime in on that one....please.....I'm gonna need help with this beast but man does it sound good and goes like stink at 5500 rpm!:D

Here are the first pics...not the most flattering but here she is in all her glory!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
Son's '92S leaked fluid at slave cylinder. We bought a new slave cylinder and then couldn't get the old one detached from the mount, so we simply replaced its seals in situ. IAP sells a seal kit, IIRC, (which I bought speculatively when buying the cylinder, or maybe I did that through DiFatta?). Quite a bit cheaper than a new cylinder -- not to mention easy, too.

Hmmm. Well, whoopty-do! IAP don't have them now. Maybe someone else? I _know_ that I have another set in hand, purchased after the first one came in so handy. I just don't know whether I can find it. Ever. Something about a filing system, or lack thereof.

Michael

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
The pedal comes back up from the return spring force in the clutch. ...

I'd have thought that 3) was the only reasonable option without fluid dribbling down the transmission housing from a leaky slave, but Alex reports a damper return flow problem. I'd never have guessed that could happen and still don't understand it. So I'd suggest the clutch master isn't really doing its job.
Yes - I know what you mean, I found it unlikely too. :) But I justified it to myself as follows - the return spring force was not sufficient to push the fluid back through the damper. The interesting thing was that the damper was intermittently 'stiff' - sometimes I could push the pedal down fairly easily, other times it was crackingly-heavy to push. That variation went away once I removed the damper (and I did check for easy flow through the hoses).

Obviously in fetta78's case, the leaky slave lost the fluid from the system so the master cylinder had to 'replace' it with the extra stroke. You would think that the clutch would re-engage itself as a result of the fluid loss, but perhaps the slave cylinder is very stiff as well.

When I fitted the new slave cylinder, I had to fit it in a compressed state so that it could draw fluid through as it expanded - otherwise the clutch pedal would go down and stay down (on my car the clutch arm cannot pull the master cylinder piston back). Once this happens, you have to forcibly compress the slave cylinder a few times to try and pop the pedal up. I guess what I'm saying is - don't bolt the slave cylinder into place until the system's filled and bled ;)

-Alex

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
Good Lord guys...give me a break! I have excuses.......kids, wife, job. HAHAHA
Here are the first pics...not the most flattering but here she is in all her glory!

Ok, - I'll give you a pat on the back! :p Now, the question is: This is a real car, right? Not one of those garage queens that don't see rain or snow, right?

Best regards,

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Now, the question is: This is a real car, right? Not one of those garage queens that don't see rain or snow, right?

Best regards,
Does this look like the face of a garage queen?? ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That is a beauty. But isn't that a puddle of coolant under the water pump?
Yup, and there is a matching puddle on the other side of Dot4 fluid that leaks from the clutch slave!:eek: It's going to need some work but overall we are happy with it........ummm, I stand corrected.....SHE is happy with it!! For some reason she keeps reminding me it's HER car...not mine...I have a Spider and an Alfetta GT!! :rolleyes:

The picture is a bit decieving.......it aint THAT nice!!! ;)

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Ok........
Is she back on the road yet?? The suspense is killing me!!

I guess if I have to drive an hour and a half I will. To either do it my self or hand you beers until it's done:eek:

Update please!:)

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Sheesh y'all........don't cha have jobs or something else to do besides wonderin' about my ole lady's car??? :p

FedEx says the part will be here on 12/14/07. I will have it "fixed" then, not before! Even then I might goof around and replace the water heater in the house instead, let the Alfa sit a few more days......

And g84......watcha talking about? Where have you seen my cars radiator? You been sneakin round my garage??? If you are referring to the image of the front of the car I believe what you must be interpreting as a rusty radiator is actually the air conditioning condensor reflecting the golden sunlight present when the image was captured on numerous CCD's. :rolleyes:

Oh...but do feel free to come down and hand me beers....as long as yer buyin'!!!

·
Premium Member
26,810 Posts
Yup, and there is a matching puddle on the other side of Dot4 fluid that leaks from the clutch slave!:eek: It's going to need some work but overall we are happy with it........ummm, I stand corrected.....SHE is happy with it!! For some reason she keeps reminding me it's HER car...not mine...I have a Spider and an Alfetta GT!! :rolleyes:

The picture is a bit decieving.......it aint THAT nice!!! ;)

Now tell us how do you really know it is Dot 4 was it leaking so badly you poured some in from Dot 4 bottle?

That clutch slave hose is a bear to get to the end at rigid line at steel firewall so if you have to change it do it when you have coolant out for coolant leak repair so you can pull both air flow meter/air cleaner assembly and coolant tank to see to work on hose end. It is best to loosen jam nut for hose end and then hold rigid line B-nut with wrench and use wrench on flex line (hose) hex fitting to screw hose out of rigid line B-nut. I know that sound backerds but really a tight place to work.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts