1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
27,320 Posts
Yep, also that series II new engine that auction ended with a buy ii now for 2300. I don't pay that much for whole 164s.

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
Can we post all these ebay ads somewhere else and not in the 164 technical forum? It makes the search function less useable...

·
Premium Member
2,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Whatever....

·
Premium Member
27,320 Posts
Can we post all these ebay ads somewhere else and not in the 164 technical forum? It makes the search function less useable...

How is that so?

·
Registered
331 Posts
didn't know you could get that much...wow, I mean it does seem in good condition.

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
Whatever....
Lose the attitude, it was a suggestion.

How is that so?
The search function searches through millions of words on these forums. Say, you select 164 technical forums and enter in a particular search word or phrase and that word or phrase is mentioned in this thread, then it is more clutter you have to search through, making the search function slower and less accurate.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I like that it indicates that the timing belt was replaced within the 60,000 mile window!

Yep, I'd be doing a T-belt right away on that puppy!

·
Premium Member
2,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Lose the attitude, it was a suggestion.

The search function searches through millions of words on these forums. Say, you select 164 technical forums and enter in a particular search word or phrase and that word or phrase is mentioned in this thread, then it is more clutter you have to search through, making the search function slower and less accurate.
Then it should have been phrased as such.

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
Ugh, the 24V motor, the work of the devil! I bet if I stare at it long enough it will jump time and bend all its valves while its still in the crate! All kidding aside, they make some great power. But for that price I can get a nice 164L 5 speed and not have all the 24V headaches.

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
Jon, I would agree, but they sure do make a really nice sound; it's different, but it's nice.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Jon, somehow I think the ill-repute of the 24v is unwarranted :).

Having been exposed to both the 12v's and the 24v-equipped cars since 1985 first hand, the 24v is the sweeter engine. I'm not knocking the 12v, but the 24v does make more torque everywhere in the rev range, breathes better stock and has a very flexible nature. Properly maintained, both engines will run past the 250K mile mark on the same bottom end, and heads. Both are awesome engines to drive, and to look at!

I think as fans of the marque (specifically for me, the V6 cars), we owe it to ourselves to be objective about what they are and appreciate how they were designed and engineered.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Having owned a 91S and my current 94Q I have to tell you that the difference between the two cars is almost like night and day. There is something about the way the Q motor makes its presence known almost minimalist, it is raw and refined all at the same time. There is not much out there that revs like a Q engine and after 13 years of ownership I still get the hair on the back on my neck stand up everytime I hit 7000. Yes, there is no denying that the 24 valves engine is more picky and troublesome than a 12 valve but with proper careful maintenance it will last a long time. Not much has gone wrong in all these years and definetely less than my 5 years old German car.

Amedeo

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Personally I think both the 12v and 24v 164s are great cars. I disagree that the 24v has more torque everywhere as at the very bottom end, even in Autosport magazine test figures, pulls a bit stronger. Wouldn't call the 24v cammy but there is a definite boost beyond 4,000 rpm and the extra 800 revs add to the feeling of driving a well-sorted hot hatch; except that this 'hot hatch' goes to 150mph, very stably.

Mine has 102,000 miles on the clock and still burns no oil, an opinion backed up by the emmissions being almost what they were when new - although it does lose some oil through a slightly blown seal; wouldn't be an Alfa otherwise :)

The series 2 cars also had a lot of series 1 reliability issues sorted; such as the stepper controls on the ventilation system, rust protection and stronger brake sensor links; although it did lose the electric rear seats of the earlier cars.

Personally am very pleased to now have a 24v but if Alfa had never made the 24v I would also have been very pleased with owning a 12v. Like I said, both versions are great cars and, correct me if I am wrong, handle better than 166s.

Happy motoring,

Richard

·
Premium Member
27,320 Posts
After all is said and done I have to admit I do like driving Myron's 95LS once I got it running right for him. I really like the Sport mode switch on auto tranny as it is my passing gear switch for in towny driving and it will tighten up shift points on interstate, too. I guess my somewhat negative comments come from my spouses worry and comments about Myrons on the phone again as I seem to be his 24v mech in waiting. Knock on wood we seem to have it humming now for many a month and Skip has been the mech on call for Myron's Spider as it recently broke the infamous weak clutch pedal weld under the dash.

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
I am just jelous!

Jon, somehow I think the ill-repute of the 24v is unwarranted :).

Having been exposed to both the 12v's and the 24v-equipped cars since 1985 first hand, the 24v is the sweeter engine. I'm not knocking the 12v, but the 24v does make more torque everywhere in the rev range, breathes better stock and has a very flexible nature. Properly maintained, both engines will run past the 250K mile mark on the same bottom end, and heads. Both are awesome engines to drive, and to look at!

I think as fans of the marque (specifically for me, the V6 cars), we owe it to ourselves to be objective about what they are and appreciate how they were designed and engineered.
I hear ya nizam, those motors are stout and sweet, just seem to hear more stories about them jumping time then the 12 valvers. Like anything, proper maintenance is a must with these cars. I have heard that 500K is the norm for bottom ends, top ends about 225K in most cases. One thing the 24V cars do not do is burn oil like the 12 valvers, and they feel more refined. I do however miss the valve clatter that the 12v cars have, that is music to my ears :)

·
Registered
4,712 Posts
Anyone know who this VolpeBob guy is? I have sent him several emails inquiring about the car he got this engine from and I was also asking about a couple particular parts. so far he hasn't bothered to respond.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts