Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When trying to trip the trunk, latch it took so much force that the formed plastic trim piece that contains the two release levers became broken. I felt that something must be binding in the release cable but after disassembling the trunk release system that the cable was actually quite free. I removed the trunk latch assy., which was relatively dirty, so that it could be cleaned and re-lubricated. When attempting to cycle the latch through its range of motion, I found that the mechanism contained two return springs. One is a sort of hairpin spring ending in a large spiral coil enclosed within the confines of the mechanism. The other, a relatively small but quite heavy externally mounted spring, that appears to be almost an afterthought or fix. My guess is that when the cable gets dry or kinked enough to provide a high resistance to movement, and or the mechanism becomes dirty and the lithium base grease gets dry and crusty, the extra spring force is added as a fix to ensure that the trunk lid will securely latch. Is this truly the case? Is it possible that this is a factory update to help with the aforementioned causes or is this a typical field retrofit. I mean that this spring is so strong that I had a hard time removing it with some large needle nose pliers. I just seems like way overkill to me. Your thoughts and experience please.

Thanks
Ken

·
Premium Member
1,499 Posts
I disconnected the coil spring years ago. With it attached the mechanism required a STRONG pull. No wonder so many trunk cables get broken.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I removed the coil spring on my S3 latch years ago also. Its overkill.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts