Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
:eek: I've been a bit neglectful since getting the Alfa and really haven't attended to my :)rolleyes:eek:ur) daily drivers. I normally go the 2 step Mothers route using their Glaze and the Carbarna. I though this time, I'd try something different:cool:. I clay bar'd both cars and on mine used the Mothers Glaze (their step 2) followed by Black Magic. BM was rated #1 by Consumer reports and since being on sale for $5, decided it was worth a try. Well, on my DD (which is black) it left streaks like a SOaB and had to be followed up with Mcquires NXT to get the streaks out. The BM also seemed to take forever to haze up. It might have been because it was very humid out. That was Saturday. On Sunday, I did the wife's Cherokee. Clay Bar, Mothers Cleaner/Carbana combo wax, followed (I figured I'll try it again) by the BM. Much better results:) maybe because it was less humid. Still, the BM doesn't seem to haze up too good and it's kinda b*tchy to buff off. Don't smeer it on too much. It's got a watery viscosity. I also used it on the scoot and was satisfied with the clearty of the gloss.

The Alfa is a different story:). I used the Mothers Glaze/Sealer followed by their Carbana liquid when I got it. It still looks good (actually great:D) so I just use either Showtime or Instant Detailer when needed.

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Alfa-Less
506 Posts
I spent Saturday using Griot's Machine Polish #3 and Best of Show Wax together with a random orbital machine for each step. Also used Mother's aluminum cleaner and wax on all the aluminum trim and Mother's chrome polish on the chrome. Final step was a pass with Griot's speed shine to clean off any missed spots or fuz.

I have used Griot's and Mother's stuff for about 4 years and have always been fairly pleased. The interior is next.

Prepping for Limerock......
-Rob

Attachments

·
Registered
491 Posts
I spent Saturday using Griot's Machine Polish #3 and Best of Show Wax together with a random orbital machine for each step. Also used Mother's aluminum cleaner and wax on all the aluminum trim and Mother's chrome polish on the chrome. Final step was a pass with Griot's speed shine to clean off any missed spots or fuz.

I have used Griot's and Mother's stuff for about 4 years and have always been fairly pleased. The interior is next.

Prepping for Limerock......
-Rob
Looks great!

·
Registered
428 Posts
I believe that it's difficult to find a much better product than Zymol waxes.
I have not used Mothers or Griot but i can assure that Meguiars is quite mediocre given its publicity.

·
Registered
7,009 Posts
i use a product called z-best wax purchased at the NY auto show.

it is one of those as-seen-on-tv products that works amazingly well.

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
I shop at the store here in town where a majority of the body shops buy their products. The sales guy recommended the clay bar and these two 3M products: Perfect-it Gloss Enhancer and the Performance Finish. The Gloss enhancer and clay bar make a great combination. Then I wax over with the Performance finish to give the car a glass finish. I have had some nice comments from strangers about how nice the cars look. The wife's spider and the Acura have not been waxed since April and the paint still beads up in big drops. I have used the gloss enhancer as a finish to keep the shine up.

Favali, your spider looks brand new. :)

·
Alfa-Less
506 Posts
Favali, your spider looks brand new. :)
Chris,

Thanks for the compliment. I used Griot's clay bar on the car and was amazed at the difference a clay bar made to the paint and the finish.....at least to the touch. The car is garaged and covered every night and while frequently driven in the non-snow months, it will not come out if it is raining. Can't say if this has helped retain the finish but it makes it easier to keep it clean. The engine and engine bay is similar and the underside gets a full washing once per year.

Time to do my wife's A6 with the bar and machine......

·
Registered
701 Posts
Hi all, what is the best paint "cleaner". I have trouble getting rid of water marks and surface scratches. This is on a 1987 spider with all original red paint. The paint is still very good, just hard to get surface inperfections out. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
Jus to bring this thread up to the forefront, a couple of weekends ago I was given a bottle of Meguires Tech-Wax. I had been using the 3M wax in a previous post. I am a bit of a sceptic when it comes to wax as I have probably tried most everything, finally settling in on the 3M products. So to get a bottle of "another wax" to try, you think...how can this be any better than what I am using?

The wax is thick, creamy, has a great smell and goes on smooth with the applicator sponge that came in the box. The wax goes on easily. After the wax has hazed up, it comes off easy. Using microfiber towels, the paint finish buffs up to a wonderful gloss. I went back over the paint with a second wax coat and picked up a bit more of a glass like finish. The paint is very smooth to the touch and reflects light very well. How well will it hold up over time and bead up water after several washings, I have yet to find out. Autogeekonline.net loves the wax and gave it a great review. Cost $15 (approx)

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
^^^^I used a sample packet of this stuff and of all the waxes I used, this buffed off the easiest after haze up which seem to happen almost immediately. I used it on my DD a couple of months ago which isn't garaged but covered at night most of the time so I cannot verify it's durability. My car is black and it didn't streak which is sometimes a problem. It seems to warrant the purchase of a bottle.

·
Registered
63 Posts
^^^^I used a sample packet of this stuff and of all the waxes I used, this buffed off the easiest after haze up which seem to happen almost immediately. I used it on my DD a couple of months ago which isn't garaged but covered at night most of the time so I cannot verify it's durability. My car is black and it didn't streak which is sometimes a problem. It seems to warrant the purchase of a bottle.
Lowmileage...when you say "buffed" are you using a powered buffer or elbow grease? I've been wondering if a buffer is a good idea or not.

·
Registered
309 Posts

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Lowmileage...when you say "buffed" are you using a powered buffer or elbow grease? I've been wondering if a buffer is a good idea or not.

Elbow - the only time I use a power buffer is after painting & wet sanding a car and then only with care. It only takes a spec of dirt to burn the paint or too much effort on a corner to go to the primer with polishing compound and a power buffer. In fact, I stay away from corners with a power buffer and finish them by hand.

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That's a polymer sealant as opposed to a carnuba based wax.
:eek:What exactly is a polymer:confused: Just something that's not a wax?

·
Registered
309 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,745 Posts
Klasse All in one and High Gloss Sealant Glaze
Took couple times to get the sealant right but it is the best stuff I have ever used.
100% acrylic based

1 - 20 of 36 Posts