Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This isn't Alfa related, but I know someone will have an answer for me!!

My cold weather/rainy weather driver is a 93 Honda Element with the plastic bottom half. I know better, but the owners manual said to wax the plastic...I knew better, but thought I'd give it a try. Now, I have swirls all over the portions I tried. How can I remove the wax? Is there product to use? Or do I need to just let it ware off?

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Tom

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
Tom-
Is this plastic sort of coarse/grainy? 3M makes a few "wax and grease removers" to be used prior to painting. They just came out with a couple of new ones. Don't know if they'll mess up the finish you are trying to restore. I will find out tomorrow at work if you want. If there's a better way I'll let you know.
Regards,
Jeff

·
Supporting Vendor
4,362 Posts
How can I remove the wax? Is there product to use? Or do I need to just let it ware off?
I know this sounds odd, but peanut butter will remove wax residue from unpainted plastic! Once you're done it just cleans up with soap and water.

Once you have it clean, I would treat the plastic with a protectant such as 303 Aerospace that has a lot of UV blockers in it so it doesn't degrade in the sun.

Joe

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know this sounds odd, but peanut butter will remove wax residue from unpainted plastic! Once you're done it just cleans up with soap and water.

Once you have it clean, I would treat the plastic with a protectant such as 303 Aerospace that has a lot of UV blockers in it so it doesn't degrade in the sun.

Joe
Joe,

As odd as it may sound, I'll probably give that a try!! I already have the 303...great stuff.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
Mmmm... peanut butter. Try it first. If it doesn't work, PPG DX330 Wax and Grease Remover, comes in Qts. My bro-in-law likes Turtle Wax Ice liquid for your application.
Let us know what you do!
Regards,

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
Dawn sounds kinder and gentler than my solution. If all else fails, the wax and grease remover will definitely work.If labor is not an issue (and it shouldn't be) the greener the better. The chemical solutions are geared to fast production and less labor.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts