Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
..just thinking here. fishing for replys.. useing some parts of an gtv milano. using some of the watts linage parts of these car. and instaling them on a spider.....cheap way to get a nice watts linkage on the rear of my spider..better than an panhard rod .. the panhard works in one direction only..

·
Premium Member
3,571 Posts
Hi Bianchi1,
Here's one of the replies you are fishing for: It's not quite as simple as you describe and it ain't gonna be cheap unless you understand the different systems and are a skilled fabricator. First, for a Panhard bar OR Watts linkage, the T-Bar must be replaced with a scheme that only contols fore-and-aft axle location. Then, you must fabricate brackets to attach the outer ends of the watts linkage to the chassis. Andy Kress, of Performatek, makes a watts linkage kit, and Jack Beck, Orion Motorsports, makes a Panhard bar kit. Both of these are expensive. No offense but, if you don't understand the geometry of Watts or Panhard compared to the current Spider/GTV arrangement, you are better off not doing anything. Do a search on rear suspension, Watts, Panhard, roll centers and roll axis, and you will learn the details.

..just thinking here. fishing for replys.. useing some parts of an gtv milano. using some of the watts linage parts of these car. and instaling them on a spider.....cheap way to get a nice watts linkage on the rear of my spider..better than an panhard rod .. the panhard works in one direction only..

·
Super Moderator
11,397 Posts
Send a PM to Richard Jemison, alfar7. He has more than a little experience in this area, can tell you how to do it AND what not to do.
Gordon Raymond

·
Registered
936 Posts
the big question is : what are you using the car for ?

if you answer "a fast, fun street car," then this is overkill. a well done setup with the T-bar should work very well indeed.

if you absolutely feel something needs to be done back there, or your racing class allows it, then a Panhard bar will give you 95% of the advantages of a Watts-link setup.

even with a well engineered rear suspension kit, designed by people who really know what they are doing, some fabrication skills will still be necessary for installation . . .

·
Registered
8,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
.. darth dino..'fast , fun street car'.. agian i was just asking questions..lots of idea. but i am just seeing the value of the questions. that why i ask the question here..with all the experance here. lots of mistakes have been maid. but lot's of good ideas here have worked...i have learned quite abit from coming here a few years ago..one thing is some of you nice folk should be locked away.. owning 5-7 alfas??:):):):):)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts