Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it worth the effort to try to rebuild the water pump? My 1750 sounds like a tin lizzy grinding and groaning from the water pump. There's a bunch of play in the pulley if you take the fan in hand and move it around. The usual suspects sell a new pump for around $85. Are there any tips or trick I need to be aware of when pulling the old one/replacing with new? Thanks

·
--ADMINISTRATOR--chiuso per ferie
11,983 Posts
Is it worth the effort to try to rebuild the water pump? My 1750 sounds like a tin lizzy grinding and groaning from the water pump. There's a bunch of play in the pulley if you take the fan in hand and move it around. The usual suspects sell a new pump for around $85. Are there any tips or trick I need to be aware of when pulling the old one/replacing with new? Thanks
I don't know anybody that sells rebuild kits for 1750/2000 water pumps. You might be able to find one at an old "dealer ship", but I'll bet it will cost as much as a new pump.

·
Registered
797 Posts
My pump was pretty noisy for a month or so a while back and it had this kind of rumbling sound coming from it at idle which got louder on acceleration:confused:. I was driving home from picking up a new one from the local vendor when the thing seized up solid on me and made quite a bang under the hood as the fan broke loose from the pulley and the belt broke. I had to limp home by watching the temperature guage and as it climbed into the red zone, I pulled over to the side of the road and stopped the engine to let it cool down. The whole 5 km. journey took me about an hour and a half to get back home, but at least I had a paperback novel to read on the the "quiet intervals" :).
I was lucky. No real damage to the engine compartment other than several cooling fins on the radiator were bent which I straightened out during the pump swap.
Phew!!!:rolleyes:

Here's a recent pic of mine on a carburetted 2000 motor with polished hardware:cool:.

DSCF1363.jpg

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
It`s a pity there are no longer kits available-it is such as waste to biff something which really should be (and once were) fixable. Typical of this throwaway world which partly contradicts why I own old cars-I like the idea that I can rebuild or fix most things rather than biff and replace, and fixing appeals not only to the cheapness in me but also the conservationalist.

Richard J

Giulia Ti, `69 GT Junior, `74 GTV 2000, `76 Alfetta GTV, `77 Alfetta GTV, `81 Giulietta, `84 GTV6

·
Registered
5,977 Posts
Just out of interest, what would have been in a waterpump rebuild kit? Does anyone have specs for the seals and bushes (including type)?

·
Premium Member
2,527 Posts
My pully has a surprising amount of play but no noticeable leak from the weep hole yet. You think it would leak first then the bearing would wear and fail. Well, this is the same pump that came with the car in 1984, I don't recall ever changing it. I have 2 similar spare pumps with no noticeable play, but unknown seal health. Other threads mention members of ABB that rebuild water pumps. Are they still active? I guess Papajam was one of them. (I miss that guy)

·
Registered
219 Posts
I bought a NOS rebuilt kit years ago on eBay. It contained, the shaft with bearing, Seal (which Heinbrand sells) and gasket. used it on the '67 GTV I'm finishing up....worked pretty good, seal needs to bed in, so I had to start the engine up right after putting coolant in, to stop the leak.

·
Push hard and live
9,597 Posts
For the quality, service, and price, I use Flying Dutchman in Oregon. New pumps for 102-2000 cars are not available, and the rebuild kits cost more than having Flying Dutchman do them, plus FD refaces gasket area and restores the pulley, as well.

·
Premium Member
2,527 Posts
Dutchman wanted about $125 US to rebuild and then shipping etc back and forth to Canada. Rebuilders in my province wanted $150-175 CDN plus shipping back and forth taxes etc. Gordon Raymond on the ABB said he rebuilds mainly for show cars to have 100% original pumps. So I will likely order from Classic Alfa.

·
Premium Member
2,527 Posts
My new water pump arrived from Classic Alfa. The impeller protrudes out the back of the pump the same amount as 2 used pumps I have, but the impeller vane to pump body clearance is .048'' the Alfa manual says .020'' and both used pumps are .008''. Should I be concerned?

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Is the impeller small or the chamber large or a combo of both that gives the larger clearance. And what does Classic Alfa say.

·
Premium Member
2,527 Posts
I have not asked Classic Alfa yet. Not sure what creates then larger clearance?

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
It could be the impeller design is different being more efficient in its ability to move water. I replaced the water pump on our Giulia Ti (1750 engine) with a pump from Classic Alfa and it functions well - certainly no overheating.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
I have not asked Classic Alfa yet. Not sure what creates then larger clearance?
Well you find that out by measuring the new components and compare them to the measurement of the old.

·
Premium Member
2,527 Posts
The impeller protrudes out the back of the pump the same amount as 2 used pumps I have, but the impeller vane to pump body clearance is .048''
Well, you find that out by measuring the new components and compare them to the measurement of the old.
I will check it out further when I go back out to my garage.

·
Premium Member
2,527 Posts
Ken, The impeller protrudes out the back .078'' and the shaft another.016'' on the OE spare. The Classic Alfa pump impeller protrudes .098'' and the shaft is recessed a bit.

·
Premium Member
2,527 Posts
I have searched online for impeller clearance for similar pumps and got .040'' Max, .030''HiPo, and .025'' Race. So Alfas spec of .020'' seems reasonable. Just wonder why the Classic Alfa pump has .048''? I sent an Email to Classic Alfa.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts