Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I pulled the original carpet from the spider and as expected the underlayment padding was a mess; moldy and in pieces. threw it away. Cleaned the carpet and ready to reinstall. Any thoughts on what and where I can purchase the underlay?

Waterproof?

thanks
Rande

·
Premium Member
1,536 Posts
I don't think any kind of carpet padding is waterproof. Most everything just holds water.

I bought new "jute" padding (that's what the original was) from these guys:

New Alfa Romeo Spider Padding

It seemed a little thicker (about 3/8") than what was under the stock carpet, but looked like the right material. My old padding, like yours, had gotten wet (a lot). It was only 1/4" thick and just fell apart when I took it out but it could have been 3/8" thick when it was new.

You shouldn't need waterproof padding if you can keep the water out, which means you might have to replace the cowl hoses and the hoses behind the rag top, and make sure you've still got moisture barrier curtains in the doors.

Do a test before you put any new stuff on the floor pans. Just turn the hose on and direct it into the cowl vents (where the wipers are) and along the back edge of the convertible top. Let the water run in those places for several minutes. If you have any water on the floor when you are done, it came from one of the places I mentioned above.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Norseman,
I will check the hoses again, did it a couple of years ago. How many yards of jute did you need?
Rande

·
Registered
372 Posts
Underlayment for Spider

The most original and perhaps most effective material available...appearing just like the original...is available from: www.HighwoodAlfa.com

I have installed it and it is simply perfect in my opinion to the hardened mass I removed from my 105.03.

·
Super Moderator
10,396 Posts
I don't think any kind of carpet padding is waterproof. Most everything just holds water. I bought new "jute" padding (that's what the original was)
I question that no carpet padding is waterproof. Closed cell, foil-backed mats won't absorb water. "Dynamat" is the big name brand , but there are many others. In fact, StockInteriors.com (that vendor that Norseman50 referred to) carries two types of this insulation, "Hushmat" and "STP Silver". Products like these are much more expensive than jute, but won't absorb water, and provide better heat & noise insulation.

·
Premium Member
1,536 Posts
Thanks Norseman,
I will check the hoses again, did it a couple of years ago. How many yards of jute did you need?
Rande
Hi Rande,

The cabin requires about 1-1/2 to 1-2/3 yards. Stock Interiors only sells it in full yards so I ordered 2 yards. It wasn't too expensive. As I recall it was about $37/yd.

I looked at the other products (Hush Mat, etc.) but decided I wanted to go as close to stock as possible. That's why I went with the jute.

Thanks,

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
As under-padding, I used thick closed-cell foam floor pads commonly available at home center stores. Cut to fit and not glued down, they can be removed very easily to mop up any water that gets into the floorboards. Very good heat insulation and some sound insulation.

·
Super Moderator
10,396 Posts
I looked at the other products (Hush Mat, etc.) but decided I wanted to go as close to stock as possible. That's why I went with the jute.
Fortunately it doesn't rain much there in Washington and Alfa floors never rust, so what could go wrong? :thumbup:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts