1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
I was talking to an engine builder yesterday who told me that Toyota were using this in the 1980s and, as a result, he could always depend on the inside of their engines to be pristine. Might be worth researching? I use two cans of the Honda pre-mixed coolant in my engine, which also cuts down electrolysis.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Ciao Alistar,

Please note that I'm using Evans waterless coolant in my engine and it work great. Along with the benefits of a higher boiling point it also has non-corrosive elements which is vital for our ageing Alfa engines. Also note that you don't need an overflow tank! Following a long day at the track recently my coolant level remained exactly the same.

I'm using the high performance version in my newly built engine, but if your changing over from normal coolant/water you need to also purchase a flushing agent prior to using Evans waterless coolant.

Note that it's not cheap, but in my opinion it's well worth the expense.

Saluti
Sergio

Attachments

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Definitely like the fact it won't expand as much under heat stressing rubber hoses and head gasket seal. I'd imagine if it's not under pressure like water based it will not take as much power from water pump.. That said.... How thick is it though compared to water ??

·
Premium Member
3,320 Posts
A buddy of mine builds engines for endurance racing, I asked him about Evans. He said "check the thermal characteristics of Evans vs. water...stick with water."

I think its an interesting product. If you don't have to worry about removing significant heat from the engine, it might be something to do.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Found this independent test sheet. Searching under evans coolant problems.

I'd read this thoroughly if considering swapping to it.. But yes they are the competition !!

Each Evans product is 100% glycol. Some are 100% propylene glycol, and others are a mix of propylene glycol and ethylene glycol.

I don't think I would ever change... too expensive, It's flammable. Engine temperatures are actually increased using it, thinning oil... 20-25% increase in viscosity that water pumps not designed for..some change the pulley ratio to increase volume pumped. so will rob power from car..

That said there is a lot of people who never have a problem using it. Make sure you have hardened valve seats to stop hotter running wearing them out faster...

No-Rosion Products Technical Questions and Answers

·
But Mad North-Northwest
12,594 Posts
Yeah, that's a very good write up of why this stuff is not a good idea: I'm glad someone finally did some detailed testing. I mean *admittedly* it's someone trying to sell their own different product, but the high cylinder head temperature results jive with what I'd expect from running pure glycol.

The Evans stuff is not exactly rocket science: it's basically just a mix of propylene & ethylene glycol with no water (normal coolant is 50/50 glycol/water). If running straight coolant were actually a good idea, carmakers would have been doing this for years. They don't because it's just too viscous and has poor heat transfer characteristics.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts