Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The oil gauge thread prompted me to ask this question....

My water temp gauge is inaccurate - it reads about 20 degrees high. This scared the snot out of me for a while but on checking the engine temp is OK and the gauge is wrong. My car is a 71 1750, but the gauge is not original to the car - I have no idea what year it's from.

Are there different senders for different year gauges, or is there a way to calibrate the gauge, or do I just need to get a replacement sender or replacement gauge?

Thanks....

·
Premium Member
4,761 Posts
get an assortment of resistors and play with each differing one inline between the sender and the wire that hooks onto it till you get the guage reading where you think it should as compared to the IR gun or whatever you are using. 27 ohm is what my 164 with the 4 cylinder took to get it to read how I wanted. I've done this to both the Alfas with very pleasing results. ciao jc

·
Premium Member
13,981 Posts
Bear in mind that your temperature sender is measuring the temperature on the inside of the manifold and you are presumably measuring the temperature on the outside. There will certainly be a temperature drop across the manifold and your sender might be correct.

When I was a young instrumentation engineer my boss told me to never have two temperature instruments located close to each other or I would spend the rest of my life either trying to make them read the same or explaining why they gave different readings.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts