Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some help for my 91 spider. Noticed just recently that water temp gauge is not registering. The gauge moves to set position when I turn the key but doesn't register any temp. I suspect the water temp sender. Where is the location of the sender and can I install a new sender without draining the coolant? I checked the shop manual but gave up after a prolong search. (couldn't do a document search as the pdf is locked)

·
Registered
7,803 Posts
photo 1 shows location, next to blue motronic coolant sensor.

first check the single spade wire is attached, maybe remove and put back a few times to get a good contact.

if it is attached ok, and clean, remove wire from sensor and ground it with key on to see if the temp gauge goes to max.
If it does, instrument gauge is good and sensor likely bad.

(if coolant hasn't been kept serviced, the probe can get gunge on it which affects the readings, so removing it and cleaning it with a scotch brite can bring it back to normal working life. Photo 2 shows the probes from inside inlet)

no need to drain coolant, a little coolant will come out till you screw in the new one....so have things ready (including a new copper washer) at hand:)

Attachments

1 - 2 of 2 Posts