Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I want to order to IAP the hoses that go from water pumps to the thermostats...what the name of this hoses at IAP??

for a spider 88 BTW.

Regards
Alfablack

·
Registered
246 Posts
Bypass hose

What your reffering to is called a bypass hose. Last time I checked IAP was out of stock. Try one of the other vendors if you need it fast.

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
I'll bet if you took the old hose down to a good local autoparts store, they could find you one just like it.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Also, remember to look inside the old hose to retrieve the restrictor. You will have to cut it out of the old hose.

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
I just got mine (both the lower and bypass hose) from Centerline, we didn't have any that would work in stock... I work at a NAPA store.

The top hose is very similar to a Toyota pick up, I'm at home now but in the A.M. I'll post the part number.

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
NAPA Part #7778 or #7787 should work

·
Premium Member
449 Posts
My bet is that you don't have a restrictor - I never did ( '82 ), don't know anyone with a newer ( >82 ) either. [ 'course now everyone with a car in the range *and* a restrictor will ooze out of the woodwork, and prove me scurrilously wrong... ].
Anyway, that's what I know ( I think )...

·
Registered
971 Posts
My 84 had the restrictor. BTW, I noticed no difference in running with or without the restrictor.

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
It not ment to make a difference in running but a difference in how quickly it gets up to temperature.

With the restrictor (well, technically a bypass valve as it does have a mechanical action) the engine warms up faster so the emissions stuff can start working more effectively sooner. (ok, so mabe it does make a difference in running as it gets it out of warmup mode quicker and onto the sensors and ECU sooner, but it's not actually something you'd feel one way or the other)

The mechanical action is such that when the T-stat is cold/closed, the spring loaded plate in the restrictor backs up from the coolant flow pressure and feeds most of the engine warmed coolant back through the water pump instead of the radiator.

Once the T-stat opens from coolant heat and pressure on the bypass valve drops, the spring pushes the valve back *closed and the coolant curculates through the T-stat and radiator in the more conventional understanding of coolant flow.

* It never truly completely restricts/closes off as it does have that small hole in the valve.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts