Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to this group (an old fart in OZ) and am mightily impressed with the info on site.
A question.... I have done a water pump on my 91 164 3litre 12v V6 and am wondering has anyone had any experience with after market new pumps.
Was quoted $547 + GST (10% in Oz) but Bursons have after market pumps for $159.:confused:
Is it worth a shot?
Robbo.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Sean, I have had the car since new and I still love it, unfortunately so does the Missus and I am relegated to the old Rodeo. They probably don't come into the picture in the US.
I think I will have many more queries to come.
Cheers Robbo.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Thanks Sean, I have had the car since new and I still love it, unfortunately so does the Missus and I am relegated to the old Rodeo. They probably don't come into the picture in the US.
I think I will have many more queries to come.
Cheers Robbo.
Robbo,

While I was over in Australia working, three years ago, I found a fantastic Italian guy at 'The Spares Place' I think it was called. It was in Adelaide... under Alfa Romeo in the phone book. The shop (on a fairly plain dual-carriageway street) was a veritable Aladdin's cave of fantastic new 164 parts, e.g. headlights at half the price they are in NZ. I came home with two badges and a driver's door handle.

Pity I gave the business card to the new owner of my 164 (I bought another 164 recently), so I'm not giving you much to go on.

I just did a search at your White Pages website. I believe I've found it! :)
It appears to be called 'The Spare Place'. 172 Grote St Adelaide 5000, (08) 8212 3505

Grote St. rings a bell, and the map shows it to be on the dual-carriageway part of a very grid-like street layout, which is as I remember also.

http://ww2.whereis.com/mapping/geocodeAddress.do?streetNumber=172&streetName=Grote&streetType=St&locality=Adelaide&state=SA&placeName=The Spare Place&address=172 Grote St Adelaide 5000&phoneNumber=(08) 8212 3505&link=1187875024250&hashCode=151551436052345&brandId=5

Maybe give him a call? Thanks!
-Alex

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
I did the water pump on my L about a year and a half ago and used a new aftermarket for about $59.00 U.S. from Rock Auto I beleive.

·
Registered
460 Posts
The 164 had a better water pump than its GTV6/Milano siblings. I have used Sil pumps with great success on 164's. My vendors do not stock the OEM part because of the extreme price difference. You should be ok if it is installed correctly.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I can highly recommend Mark at Milano spares in Thomastown too. Bought all my parts off him when I last did the front head gasket, timing belt and water pump for my 89 plonker. Nice guy and their prices are pretty competitive too. Good luck!

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
I would guess most of us are running aftermarket W/Ps. I think they are still Italian made though. ;)
Charles

1 - 9 of 9 Posts