Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI all,
I need to change the water pump on my S3, I have removed the 7 nuts, where is the connection for the rev counter and how does it come off? Do I need to lever the pump off or should it just pull off?
I have looked at the thread water pump for newbies but I'm still not sure..
Thanks for any advice.
Patrick

·
Administrator
17,046 Posts
USA versions of the Series 3 Spiders have electronic tachs so no tach drive on our water pumps.

Usually the water pump will be stuck as the gasket tends to stick to both the pump & the block. Gently pry and the gasket should either come loose or tear.

·
Registered
8,982 Posts
did you remove the crank pulley? to get those 2 lower studs off? with the 2 lower studs on the cover you will not get the waterpump off the motor.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
It is sometimes possible to remove the 2 lower studs without pulling the front crank pulley. Then you can remove the pump with the pulley still in place. It is troublesome to replace the 2 studs during installation of the new water pump. I have been known to use bolts to replace the 2 removed studs.

This JFWIW

Robert

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
bianchi,

I think we are in agreement here. Actually putting bolts into stud holes on an aluminum engine block is not the best way to go. They used studs for a reason, to save the threaded holes in the aluminum block. But since you would not be installing and removing the bolts frequently, you can get away with it as long as you are careful about what you are doing and don't strip or cross thread the holes. Removing the crank pulley on an Alfa spider is not a fun project. Almost as not fun as replacing the water pump.

Robert

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Water pump.

Hi all,
I may have given the impression I was an idiot when I posted the question where is the feed for the rev counter on my water pump (pump needs replacing) The car is an '84 Spider so should have a mechanical rev counter but it seems not, it must have been changed in the past as there is a blanking piece over the feed for the rev counter and the drive spline is still there coming out of the block. I have now at ordered a new mechanical drive rev counter water pump.
Getting the pump off was problem because of the bottom right hand stud. I tried lock nutting to draw the stud out but could feel the thread start to go so had to stop. I then carefully cut off 3mm of the stud which allowed the water pump to be removed, there is enough stud left to mount the new pump.
Thanks for your advice, still got to try and fix the heater.
Patrick

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts