Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am going to change my water pump this weekend. Pretty straight forward right? Unbolt, slide to the left and to the right, pull it out and replace it ? I know i don't have to worry about those four long bolts cuz they broke last year and i fixed them already.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
You might consider getting the nicer gaskets that some of the vendors sell, plus you will need all the other gaskets for the thermostat housing anyway, might as well get a set of the nicer ones. The ones that come with the water pumps are pretty cheaply made.

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
Not that simple - timing belt needs to come off as well, and depending on mileage you may want to consider replacing. Watch out for tension on accessory belt since too tight can prematurely wear out bearing on waterpump.
Jes

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Yeah, timing belt and tensioner both come off, along with the thermostat housing. It sounds like its time for your next timing belt replacement if it wasnt done recently. You parts order will probably include timing belt, tensioner or tensioner bearing (depending on what type you have), water pump of course, the little hoses from the thermostat housing to the heads, thermostat housing bolts and gaskets, and if they are leaking its a good time to replace the cam pulley seals too.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
alright. thanks for the advice. everything was changed or brand new and i use a mechanical timing belt tensioner. I was hoping i could slide it left then right but sounds more difficult. waterpump was the only thing left in tact from the engine swap. go figure.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
I'd look for a Saleri pump made in Italia, I've had good luck with them, there are some cheap ones out there that don't last very long..China??

1 - 6 of 6 Posts