Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need to replace the water pump on our 86 spider but neither Centerline or Vick has them. They both said the manufacturer stopped making them and their waiting for a new supplier, maybe in April.
Any idea?

·
Registered
260 Posts
I had the same problem recently. Classic Alfa had one

·
Premium Member
1,785 Posts
Be careful on the Classic Alfa water pumps. What they say is correct for an S3 with electronic tachometer does not necessarily have the same configuration as the stock pump. Compare CA Part WA004 with Part WA047. The latter (which Classic lists as being out of stock) is the stock configuration on my USA spec 85 Spider. WA004's lower hose fitting is angled down, which doesn't work with the lower hose fitting on the radiator with the standard hoses. I bought the WA004 pump and had to configure a custom hose to hook it up to the radiator.

·
Registered
8,121 Posts
that's one expensive WP! 330$? crikes.

my s4 one costs 75$ !:)

·
Registered
260 Posts
You want the pump that has the large hose connection at the 9 O'clock position when you are looking at it from the front and not the one at 8 o'clock.
.It was designed first to accomodate the Spica injection pump starting in 1969 and later on the S3 cars, the A/C compressor.
The part number is WA047 on the Classic Alfa site but it is out of stock as someone mentioned

·
Registered
260 Posts
Just saw the $330 pump WOW!. You could use one of the ones for a 1991-93 cars with the hose for the same if you don't want your A/C compressor any more.

·
Premium Member
1,785 Posts
Just saw the $330 pump WOW!. You could use one of the ones for a 1991-93 cars with the hose for the same if you don't want your A/C compressor any more.
I don't think the hose from the S4 can be used without changing the radiator because the lower hose connection on the two radiators are different.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Sloboy is correct however you should be able to get the correct hose from Classic Alfa for a spider through 1989 that was designed for Europe and Webers.
Suddenly feeling very lucky that I bought my pump from Classic Alfa a few months ago before supply ran out.

·
Registered
260 Posts

·
Premium Member
901 Posts
send your old pump to be rebuilt, Flying Dutchman in Oregon
+1, I would definitely send out for a rebuild. I have not checked the numbers, but the rebuild must be less expensive.

Or, someone must make the bearings and seals required and diy

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for all the answer. In 20+ years of classic car ownership this is the first time I have an issue with a part!

I tried EB, Classic etc. none are available. Sent a email to the Flying Dutchman to see if they can rebuild them.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
We sent the pump to Flying Dutchman. A few days ago. He just confirmed he got it and it will be readyb next week. Replies to emails right away...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts