Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of removing a leaky water pump from my S4 spider. Every bolt was stubborn. I did have to saw off, with a hacksaw blade, the pointless timing pointer. That thing was made of titanium or something.

I opted for the double nutting off the lower 1 stud which allowed the water pump to then be freed. Did not remove crankshaft pulley. That lower stud may as well have been made of old chewing gum. All the studs are very corroded. It wasn't coming out no matter what I tried.

Now about a half inch is protruding. Tried to vise grip it. Surprise, no dice. PB blastered it, still no dice. It's not coming out without a fight. I thought of hacking out a notch for a flat screwdriver blade, but other than that, I'm out of ideas.

Is there a tool for this situation? Would a propane torch help?

I'm so used to things going horribly wrong, I'm not even phased. Got a speeding ticket last night, while going out to buy a breaker bar. I was expecting this to happen.

Any tips while I scour the net for an answer?

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Meant to add that luckily a half inch or so of the stud is protruding from the block.

Yet another of my bonehead moves!

·
Registered
780 Posts
Easy out

I have a set of easy outs for just such occasions. Sometimes even using a left handed drill bit will do the trick. The important thing is to be carefull. File the end sticking out flat so you can center punch the center of the stud and drill. Make sure not to drill too deep. Then using the easy out carefully unthread the stud. While you are doing this it would not hurt to have the PB blaster working.:eek:

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Alfafan - but I am a lucky man.

I had to hit the stud with a hammer, PB blast it, get those vise grips nice and tight - and she finally spit it out.

Dodged a bullet...whew!

Thanks all. Will replace stud with a bolt! That area is now prepped and ready for the sealant, gasket, and pump!

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Yes you are a lucky man!:D Good that it came out without having to do some real surgery. While you are on a roll....go see if you can talk your way out of that ticket too!!!:D

Best Regards,
John M

1 - 5 of 5 Posts