Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, Some time back I picked up a disassembled water pump that came with some new parts. See photo. My plan is to rebuild it and keep it as a backup/spare. It's been awhile since I last did my other pump and can't remember all the details of assembly. Could someone point out what is missing or incorrect form the photo and the parts book illustration. Example, I think I am missing one circlip #29 (I only have one), the spacer #17, and the seal #30? I'm not sure if my flange seal, #5, is correct either. There used to be a rebuild memo around and I haven't been able to find it. Any help?

Thanks,

George

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
12,033 Posts
You got it all George. There were 2 sizes of bearings. You need to be sure you have the correct ones for your housing (bore). It's obvious. I do these all the time. If you e-mail me or call after 6 PM Illinois time, I can walk you through it. (Racing this weekend though!)

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
I have tried to rebuild water pumps but finally found EP Services Ltd., a company in the UK that rebuilds them reasonably and to a very high standard. They machine the bearing surfaces of the impeller to ensure that the seals really do sit correctly and the three pumps that they have built for me have all performed beautifully.
No relation to the Company.

·
Premium Member
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You got it all George. There were 2 sizes of bearings. You need to be sure you have the correct ones for your housing (bore). It's obvious. I do these all the time. If you e-mail me or call after 6 PM Illinois time, I can walk you through it. (Racing this weekend though!)
Thanks Gordon and Stuart,

Does anyone have the missing spacer I could purchase? I could probably replace the circlip OK but the spacer needs to be exact.

·
Super Moderator
12,033 Posts
Are you referring to spacer #17? I think they plan to use a spring to replace that. It is only important the bearings remain apart. Centerline sells the kits for this pump. Ask Joe Cabb if the spring is to replace the spacer. I've a feeling the bearings have become thicker over the years and the OEM spacer might not work.
I believe the #30 os also a spacer. I do not remember if the pumps I rebuilt of this type used anything in that location.
Just a thought.

·
Premium Member
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Are you referring to spacer #17? I think they plan to use a spring to replace that. It is only important the bearings remain apart. Centerline sells the kits for this pump. Ask Joe Cabb if the spring is to replace the spacer. I've a feeling the bearings have become thicker over the years and the OEM spacer might not work.
I believe the #30 os also a spacer. I do not remember if the pumps I rebuilt of this type used anything in that location.
Just a thought.
Yes, #17 is a spacer as is #16. #30 is a oil seal (probably for when they didn't use sealed bearings). I know Joe, I will give him a call.

Thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts