Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Water pumps and me just don't get along. I know I probably will have to replace it but I really, really, really don't want to. It is only a couple of years old and works fine. It's just through stupidity that I sheared off the stud coming from the pump that holds the alternator tension bracket.

I believe the threads in the pump are gnarled enough that I cannot start a short metric bolt that I though I could just replace the stud with. Tighten it with some thread lock and away I go. So a quick turn of a tap the clean the threads would be the trick, unfortunately the pump pulley is in the way. I saw a few posts where folks have tried just to crack the pulley.

So, to make a long story short, has anyone uncovered the secret to remove the water pump pulley?

HB

P.S.I know the water pump change process isn't the hardest thing in the world, I just don't want to do it again. So Rich, please stop rolling your eyes!! Lol

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
To remove the pulley, you have to get the pump to a press. That means it comes out of the car. If you are trying to remove the pulley while it's still on the engine, to keep from having to remove the pump, you are mistaken.

·
Out of the office!
11,154 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,213 Posts
You can remove the pulley with the special tool IF THE RADIATOR is removed. Older cars and race cars, this is not-so-bad, but on newer cars, you spend a lot of time with R & R of "stuff", belts hoses and on and on.
Overall, just remove the pump. Better yet, if it's a replacement or GOOD aftermarket, simply install another good aftermarket. Labor is the same, and odds are, the repaired pump will fail in some other way after you fix the stud.
My opinion from my own experience. Brian is VERY correct about pulley removal. The factory tool is easiest. I've 2 of them in my shop so one is always close at hand.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Gordon, if only you were close at hand. Rich gave me an idea on using a short bolt as a tap. Going to give it a try today. If all else fails I do have another pump to replace this one. But only thing wrong with the pump is the stud. It is relatively young in water pump years.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts