Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone replaced the pulley on a 2l nord water pump? I am finishing up an aluminum crank pulley and I'd like to try to make ones for the water pump and alternator as well. Since Iv'e never taken one apart I'm concerned about whether it not it is possible to do.

Thanks for any help,

David

·
Super Moderator
11,882 Posts
There are 2 ways to remove Alfa water pump pulleys. Use the factory tool and it comes right off, or ... try any assortment of pullers, bust it to pieces, and some hours later, you will get it off.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool I like busting things to pieces, I'm good at that. Do over is my middle name.

So what are the mechanics of getting it off. Is it pressed on? Is there some type of key in it? Does one drip it from a great height? Oh well I suppose that isn't a good idea although see first comment.

Thanks for the advice.

Oh yeah, what does the factory tool look like? How does it function. Ohhhhh tooooo many questions. Sorry

David

·
Super Moderator
11,882 Posts
It's pressed on with an interference fit, as is the impeller. Here is a picture of the puller. It uses hardened bolts in the five holes in the iron pulley to secure the flange of the puller. Then you attempt to turn the threaded "T" handle to push the shaft out of the pulley. Most used factory tools have bent "T" bars as this isn't always easy. No keyway, no taper, no hammer, and heat wrecks the seal.
You WILL have fun David!

Attachments

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Gordon,

Thank you for the picture, it is, as they say, worth a 1,000 words. I will look forward to the day that I have time to take this little job on. For now I think I'll continue with the other atrocities I am committing upon my Spyder. At least now I know how it is put together and that although probably almost, it may not be an impossible task. I needed to make the crank pulley in order to adapt a 36-1 toothed timing wheel. The water pump and alternator pulleys are for fun, looks and possibly to have a double belt system.

Thank you!

David

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
David, FWIW, I made a cheap replica of the factory tool with some plate steel and a welded-on nut. I haven't had any trouble getting pulleys to slide right off. The reason I made the tool was so I could run the larger 2L pulley's on an earlier water pump on my race car.

·
Super Moderator
11,882 Posts
Good choice Eric, the OEM tool is a hard find. That's why I like to send pictures so others can build working tools.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Generic Wood and Gordon,

Thank you for the suggestions. I was also thinking of making a plate to fit and making it so that I could press it out but the welded nut sounds like a good first try. Some time down the road I'll let you know how it went.

David

·
Super Moderator
11,882 Posts
Use a thread with a fine pitch, oil the thread. That makes turning it in somewhat easier.

·
Registered
what part?
9,988 Posts
i di this on a old pump that i removed from my spider..took a lot of pressure.. then.......BANG!!! shot the puller and the pulley across the yard..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts