Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am finishing up a coolant flush-and-fill on my 78 Spider, and have run into a problem with the bleed screw on the water pump -- namely, the large bracket on the front of the engine that supports the smog pump is keeping me from starting the screw in the pump. The screw is just long enough not to fit vertically under the bracket, and I cannot straighten up the screw and get it started by hand by reaching up and under the bracket. I already have the center pulley for the smog pump off. Any advice here, or should I just go ahead and try removing the entire smog pump bracket (which looks heavy)?

Also, does the bleed screw not have a washer, or am I missing one?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
80 Posts
Should have a washer ...

Can't help with the smog pump bracket as my 74 does not have one, but I can say the bleed screw on my spider came with a washer (which I promptly crushed into oblivion when I re-installed and had to replace).

Good luck with the bracket. I'm sure some type 2a owners will chime in to help.

·
Super Moderator
11,884 Posts
The bleed screw was not supposed to be removed. It only bleeds AIR past the threads. Loosen it enough to watch for coolant coming past the threads and then retighten. With it now removed, whack off a few threads until you can reinstall. A copper washer is nice to keep it from seizing in place. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for all the input, everyone. I managed to get the screw started again by sticking at the end of a magnet and threading it down between the smog bracket and the engine. I also was lucky enough to find the original washer underneath the car -- it must have fallen off when the bleed screw popped out. Now I just have to go out and tighten it so I can finish up the flush!

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
No, use a new copper washer as Gordon suggests.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts