Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Can anyone explain how the flow varies? Inlets are positioned slightly differently but there are no installation issues. Can they be interchanged and what are the consequences?
I currently have an L-Jetronic (corrected from "Spica" ) equipped car that will probably get converted to carbs on a Euro manifold in the medium term.
Tks

Attachments

·
Premium Member
14,549 Posts
I have a SPICA engine that was converted to Webers and I have a Euro water pump. I had to cut away the top guard for the SPICA belt - it is part of the front cover casting, to get clearance for the lower hose.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
My 74 was converted before I bought it. it still uses the stock water pump for the 74 spider, and no modifications were made to the water pump, hoses, or mounts.
cliff

·
Super Moderator
11,142 Posts
Can anyone explain how the flow varies? Inlets are positioned slightly differently but there are no installation issues. Can they be interchanged and what are the consequences? I currently have a Spica equipped car that will probably get converted to carbs on a Euro manifold in the medium term.
Up until now, I never realized there was a different "European" waterpump. My 2L engines have all been US delivery, so they came with Spica and that belt guard cast into the front cover.

Like Alfacliff, I have converted 2L engines from Spica --> Weber (I hate Spica, but that's another story) using the later factory Weber manifolds with the drop-in thermostats. These manifolds support the "bypass hose", just as the Spica manifolds do. No changes to the waterpump were necessary. However, note that the bypass hose itself is different between Spica and Weber manifolds, because the bungs come off the two manifolds at different angles - Here in the States, Centerline carries the "European bypass hose".

From looking at mn1's photos of the two types of waterpumps, I can see that if you installed a "European" waterpump on a Spica front cover, you would get interference between the lower hose and the belt guard. I suppose sawing off a portion of the belt guard could be one way to fix this. But to me, just using a Spica-style waterpump seems like a simpler solution.

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Tks for the replies. This is a refurbishment project and I have spent the last few months under the car. I had (incorrectly) assumed all late S3 US cars had Spica injection. The "belt guard" issue prompted a bit of research. As there is no pump requiring a belt, the injection must be an L-Jetronic install, albeit with a SPICA style water pump. Apologies for the confusion but another useful learning experience compliments AlfaBB members. The Spica water pump is 3 times the price of the Euro 3 outlet so will go with Euro spec.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts