Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 78 spider had been leaking a little bit of coolant for a while, but last week all of a sudden the leak got a lot worse. The radiator is probably almost dry now. I took a look and it seems to be the water pump. So I went looking for a replacement part and found one on Autozone's website that seems to be compatible.

However when I called to order it they said the only one they had was for a car with an electric fan. Does anyone know if the part I am looking at will indeed fit? I'm hoping to order it and fix the car this weekend.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,679 Posts
I took a look and it seems to be the water pump.
Thanks!
Not trying to give you any false hope but..., I have heard that the lower radiator hose is prone to tearing/leaking on the underneath/rear side (where it clamps to the water pump spout).

Perhaps before you order a new pump, you should dis-assemble everything (in preparation) and then closely examine/inspect your bottom hose. You might find that there is just a small hole in the hidden side of the hose, that only spews water when the coolant is hot.

You have to take all that stuff off anyway, and the hose costs a lot less (and is much easier to replace) than the pump.

·
Premium Member
15,012 Posts
Why not buy one from Alfa Parts as they will not sell you an incorrect one and they are in Berkeley?

Reactions: Norseman50

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I called Alfa Parts, usually my go to, but unfortunately they were $265 there and out of stock. Won't have an order in for the next two weeks. Was going to buy new hoses and maybe a water temperature sensor there too (not sure if sensor or gauge is broken yet).

·
Premium Member
15,012 Posts
I too would look around for an alternative to a $265 pump, maybe on the other side of the pond.

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
My 78 spider had been leaking a little bit of coolant for a while, but last week all of a sudden the leak got a lot worse. The radiator is probably almost dry now. I took a look and it seems to be the water pump. So I went looking for a replacement part and found one on Autozone's website that seems to be compatible.

However when I called to order it they said the only one they had was for a car with an electric fan. Does anyone know if the part I am looking at will indeed fit? I'm hoping to order it and fix the car this weekend.

Thanks!
no, it may fit but it won't accept the bolt on cooling fan, there may also be other discrepancies regarding the tach drive if your car is so equiped

·
Registered
865 Posts
Pump

I got a Bosch one from Rock Auto when everybody else was out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I ended up ordering an AC Delco one from RockAuto. They were out of stock there too when I originally wanted one, but they came back in stock there before everyone else. It was delivered today, so I'm hoping to finally fix this problem this weekend! A little over $100, a much more reasonable price.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts