Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I expect my GTV6 to give me problems, that´s what Alfas are for, but I would expect them to be of a nature that can solved by rational thinking. Instead I´m getting water into the chamber of spark plug 4, the front one on the left side, next to the water pump.
However the water inside the chamber seems to come from condensation as it appears first sprinkled all over the cable connector and seems to be clear, not from the cooling system. If the car stays unused a couple of days there will be enough water at the bottom of chamber to wet a large piece of kitchen towel.
I first assumed it was coming from inside, but there is solid metal around the chamber. Then form the ouside, so I put tape around the cable connector to seal it. After a 5 minutes run, water re-appears.
Is this logical? Where is that annoying water coming from?
Am I getting a mini big bang and a universe of water there? What is going on? Needles to say car starts to tremble after a short run as is then] operating on 5 cyls only.
Help! I have run out of explanations.

Leonel[/B][/B][/SIZE][/FONT][/FONT]

·
Registered
324 Posts
oh dear. are you sure you have examined the chamber properly?? it sounds very much like a hairline crack to me. buy yourself a can of crack detection die and developer. clean and dry the plug hole with thinners . spray on the die, allow to dry, then spray on developer and allow to go white. wait half an hour, if there is a crack in the walls, the die will come through the developer wherever the crack is. what coolant have you been using?

heres a link to the kind of stuff. you want cans 2 and 3.

http://www.lawson-his.co.uk/scripts/products.php?cat=Rocol Non Destructive Testing Dye Penetrant System

or..... condensation from pin hole in water pump or coolant hose, condensing onto HT lead and tracking down the lead. doubt it though.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Prestone. But the water in chamber is cristaline!
Mechanic claims is Miami humidity filtering somehow into chamber. Rubber caps are old maybe dry. Will use color dye but in coolant, just to make sure. Maybe I need to replace spark plug cables and caps. Today I filled chamber with cotton balls and after 30 mins checked and they were dry. Will check again tomorrow.
leonel

1 - 3 of 3 Posts