Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

A few weeks ago, we had about 6/7 days straight of rain. Have always cleaned out the two drains behind the false firewall, and have never had an issue. Went to vacuum out the floor and found it was soaked.

Have had my doors open for 5 days now and the carpet is now dry, but if I push down on the drivers floor I can still hear "squish squish" lol. I can start to smell a bit of mildew so I started to pull things off in hopes to lift up the carpet.

What I found was it's dry under the carpet, but its the insulation under harder black layer under the carpet that is still wet. What have you guys done in the past to try and dry that out?? Right now I can only barely get my fingers under the carpet then underneath a black mat to the insulation side that touches the metal floor.

Did you guys rip out the side pillars, floor trim, seats, lower console, and door seals to rip out the carpet?

Damon
(MN, US)

·
Registered
366 Posts
Yes, but you have to do the upper console and knee bolster as well. Door seals are optional, but its a good time to go ahead and replace them at that time if needed.

·
Premium Member
9,742 Posts
Hello All,

A few weeks ago, we had about 6/7 days straight of rain. Have always cleaned out the two drains behind the false firewall, and have never had an issue. Went to vacuum out the floor and found it was soaked.

Have had my doors open for 5 days now and the carpet is now dry, but if I push down on the drivers floor I can still hear "squish squish" lol. I can start to smell a bit of mildew so I started to pull things off in hopes to lift up the carpet.

What I found was it's dry under the carpet, but its the insulation under harder black layer under the carpet that is still wet. What have you guys done in the past to try and dry that out?? Right now I can only barely get my fingers under the carpet then underneath a black mat to the insulation side that touches the metal floor.

Did you guys rip out the side pillars, floor trim, seats, lower console, and door seals to rip out the carpet?

Damon
(MN, US)
Pull the door sill trim and remove the door sill trim brackets that screw into the sheet metal, these also hold the carpet taught!
Then you can lift up the carpet and get to the insulation!!

I would say you may have a leaky windshield! Is it only on the drivers? or was it the whole interior and the drivers was the only side that did not dry?

Was the windshield replaced recently?

JAson

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
carpet removal

k, wow. you guys really did pull this apart.. hehe..

yeah, only on the driver’s side. It still has the same window from what I know for the seven years I've had her. It does say St. Corbin in the corner, but I know that is not conclusive. The rubber molding on the bottom of the window has pulled away quite a bit from that side of the window. Or you are thinking rust somewhere around the window frame?

The carpet seems well jammed behind that door trim. Do I need to pull that up?
Do have some of those metal clips removed your mentioning, wow they sure hold onto that trim piece tight -_-.

Damon
MN, US

·
Premium Member
9,742 Posts
k, wow. you guys really did pull this apart.. hehe..

yeah, only on the driver’s side. It still has the same window from what I know for the seven years I've had her. It does say St. Corbin in the corner, but I know that is not conclusive. The rubber molding on the bottom of the window has pulled away quite a bit from that side of the window. Or you are thinking rust somewhere around the window frame?

The carpet seems well jammed behind that door trim. Do I need to pull that up?
Do have some of those metal clips removed your mentioning, wow they sure hold onto that trim piece tight -_-.

Damon
MN, US
Ok, so you have a 94-95 164. Only by the description of the glass, St. Globin.
You need to unscrew the trim up under the dashboard, then pry up with a pry bar gently. It should pop out of the metal clips that hold the carpet as well as the trim piece.
The metal clips have teeth on them so they grab the carpet when they are screwed down. Once removed the carpet moves freely.
The 94> has the trim piece in 2 pieces unlike older versions which are 1. Bare in mind these pieces are interlocking from front to rear.

Just pull it up it is simple. But be careful with the part that is screwed in by the dash, it can easily break.

j

1 - 5 of 5 Posts