Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys. I washed my car down this weekend and noticed that there was water coming through the round passenger air vent on the dash. how do i access the drain cauisng this mess? One more thing, is it possible that my blower motor got water in it? It hasn't worked since i got it so I'm curious to know if that's the reason why. Thanks!

·
Administrator
16,626 Posts
Is it possible the cowl drain hoses are clogged? And this leads to the cowl area filling up and water getting in via the vents? If you look up under the dash you should find a pair of cowl vent drain hoses. They then pass forwards to drain near the wheel wells.

It is certainly possible for the heater motor to get wet. It sits in the bottom of the heater assembly.

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
A big problem with heaters is there isn't a drain in the bottom. If water gets into the motor area it will freeze up the lower bearing of the blower motor. Yours has most likely packed it in.

If you want to remove the whole heater unit, it isn't hard but it is cramped getting to the 4 nuts holding it in place. When you get the motor out see if you can spin the motor. If it has packed it in, search for a good motor. Swap it out for the bad one and put it all back together.

To access the drains you have to remove the front cowl at the bottom of the windshield. The hardest part of this job is putting the cowl back under those metal clips! UGH!

·
Premium Member
263 Posts
Before you yank the blower motor I would check four things 1) The fuse, unfortunately I am not sure which one; 2) the GROUND - When I first got my 90 it did not work nor did the lighter. I fiddled around with some grounds behind the radio and on the left hand side of the passenger compartment and they both began to work. BTW they both stoped working again a few weeks ago; 3) Make sure that the fan can spin by moving it with your finger. If you can't then it is most likely rusted; and 4) make sure the blower switch is good

1 - 5 of 5 Posts