Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8,915 Posts
Chevy Red... blue enough to cut through the orange and red enough to look good. And common enough to get the job done and still be honestly easy to touch-up. Don't rule it out because it is from Detroit I don't think GM has changed it it 30 years. The pics are my '57 Spider now black...????? .. I guess...there is no "heat" in it.. just cold RED matched up with a virgin area of the car.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
11,775 Posts
How about Acura "San Marino" red, DCC5389SC. But is it an Alfa color? Well at least one Alfa is painted this color!

Reactions: PSk

·
Registered
8,915 Posts
I can do that.. the problem that entered into the decision process was there were no Acura's when I painted my car. I always tell folks to peruse new car lots in diferent light.. AM and PM .. sunrise mid-day and sunset....sunny and cloudy and forget about the shape of the car... Whites and reds are better chosen that way.. Modern formulas are also idiot proof. Old formulas in today's chemistry o f paints are really difficult to get right.. my experience.. when new/reproducible in the 21st century is better than old and spectrographs..

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don’t mind a Chevy color - kinda like it. Three Chevy’s in the garage.

I like the stepnose on the cart, then in daylight it’s seems less dark (yeah, yeah, I know).

Had not thought of looking to newer Alfa’s, but why not. I’m liking this red, but non-metallic.

Attachments

·
Registered
547 Posts
AR 507 Rubino looks pretty dark

·
Registered
8,915 Posts
FWIW .. The Chev Red I used is 1981 Spectra Red Dupont Centauri B8115AW PPG3332.. I like paints that are easy to copy by more than one supplier that are widely used in the market place. I have found too many cases where cross-over codes from foreign cars and paint mfrs are near impossible to duplicate by the common domestic suppliers like Dupont and PPG.. especially the whites and reds. Glasurit for one takes pride in not sharing formulas with other manufacturers so if you have a foreign car with Glsurit and your painter doesn't apply Glasurit but is set up for PPG or Dupont it becomes an inexact science to matching what you want. Porsches are notoriously locked into Glasurit and it's either Glasurit or nothing if you want to match anything and it is difficult finding any quantity of touch-up ata reasonable price that matches. just my two sense.

·
Richard Jemison
7,985 Posts
My `77 Duetto was very "orange red" when bought. Wanted to get away from the orange versions of red.

·
Registered
169 Posts
There was a very nice factory red used on S4 spiders. Quite a bit darker than the original reds used on earlier cars. I have no idea of the color code but a bit of digging should find it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts