Alfa Romeo Forums banner

161 - 180 of 227 Posts

·
Registered
894 Posts
Does Anyone Live Just North of Durham, NC ??

Hi Guys,

I had an e-mail reply to to a post I had submitted, looking for some rubber hoses. The gentleman seemed a bit sketchy in asking for MoneyGram as the payment. The pix he sent of the parts showed a 45mm pipe sitting next to a 39mm. So, I'm guessing he found a pic on the BB that shows the difference between the two?

His name is John Stigall, and lives in Timberlake, North Carolina. His e-mail address suggests he may have a car repair shop there.

Has anyone had any experience with this man? If his offer turns out to be genuine, and you live near there, I'd include something for your trouble to check things out. I could send you $$ via PayPal to pay for the parts, if they were complete and as described.

Thanks in advance,
Peter

·
But Mad North-Northwest
9,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #163
I had an e-mail reply to to a post I had submitted, looking for some rubber hoses. The gentleman seemed a bit sketchy in asking for MoneyGram as the payment.
Go back and read the initial post in this thread.

Do not pay with MoneyGram.

If someone contacts you by email, have them contact you via PM so you can review their membership history and see if they're an established active member or someone who recently created an account.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Thanks Tom,

I certainly won't be paying with MoneyGram. I did read all the warning signs. I've asked for his forum avatar, plus a ton of other questions... but have not heard back on more confidence-inspiring details yet. So, I expect he will just go away now. Either he is legit, and frustrated with all my detailed questions. Or his offer is bogus, and realizes he is now busted.

Peter

·
Registered
146 Posts
@ Planetmojo

I live about 25 minutes from Timberlake nc, and would be happy to stop by his place. It is a nice drive if nothing else.

PM me a message if you need to

Kevin

·
Registered
894 Posts
Hi Kevin,

We've heard from two other folks that have also received bogus offers from our Mr. Stigall. Both had ads for car parts on two other websites. So after giving the boy additional chances to clear his name, the evidence seems to confirm he is a scam artist. Well, maybe just a scammer. No one we know of has fallen for his lame tricks yet. So he might need to get a lot more clever for me to call him an 'artist'.

The chances he actually lives anywhere near Timberlake are pretty slim, I would think. Since he has no intention of sending a box of parts (with a return address on it), he has no worries about being tracked down. He could be anywhere on the planet. If you have a local phone book, you might peek to see if he shows up in there, tho. If you ever do find yourself in Timberlake at some point in the future, you could ask at the post office, or with the locals. He supposedly has a car repair shop, from his e-mail address. But even that seems unlikely.

If he did live there... I bet the FBI would like to pay him a visit. Interstate fraud? I think we know enough to stay clear of this Bozo now. But if you find out any more on this dude, a few of us would like to know more, purely out of curiosity at this point.

Peter

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Just received a suspect message from a guy with zero posts calling himself John Taylor (jt59), think all the ingredientses for another possible scam are there, anyone that can confirm?

Dennis

I am clearing out extra spares as well as a couple of abandoned projects waiting to be stripped. Let me know clearly what you are looking to purchase and a contact phone number. I'll check for available spares and get back to you Asap. E-mail me on [email protected]

Many thanks again and regards,

John Taylor
USA

·
Registered
470 Posts
Not sure if he has been mentioned already, but do not reply to any correspondence from 911registry / [email protected], either. Unfortunately he stole $200 from my father before we were able to figure out what was going on. This guy has been posting want ad replies in several car forums. He changes his email address after people realize he's a scammer or that he has been flagged. The wording is almost always the same. He replies with parts availability, and then asks you to email him offline using his email address. Then he says he needs Moneygram payment because his PayPal is on a 21 day hold, yadda-yadda-yadda. He even steals pics from the internet to show you pictures of parts that he doesn't even have. This is a criminal that puts a lot of effort into his scams. He picks up at least some of his stolen funds via Moneygram from a CVS in Park Forest, IL, using the name "Mary Berry". Here is some of his correspondence. He/she is a real soulless piece of crap. Is it even worth contacting the police on this? Is there anything they can do?

"Hi there, my PayPal is on a 21 days deposit recovery wait and I am
sorry to hear about the bad experience but it has been a means of me
sending money to daughter in college with the help me my wife working
as a clerk with a CVS pharmacy here in Park Forest, Illinois which I
will shipping from. The car was purchased from Alaska some months ago
and other abandoned projects too from WA and DE. Let me know if we
still have a deal though as Money Gram is still my best shot as my
wife thinks she will be more than happy to assist in my deals until my
PayPal is back on. I am a retired 67yrs old mechanical engineer and
been in the market for over 28yrs with no ugly story or issue with a
buyer. I understand if you are not comfortable proceeding further as I
am aware of the numerous dishonest people roaming the market board
today.

--
I am clearing out extra spares as well as a couple of abandoned
projects waiting to be stripped. Let me know clearly what you are
looking to purchase and a contact phone number. I'll check for
available spares and get back to you Asap. E-mail me on
[email protected]"

·
Registered
470 Posts
Just received a suspect message from a guy with zero posts calling himself John Taylor (jt59), think all the ingredientses for another possible scam are there, anyone that can confirm?

Dennis

I am clearing out extra spares as well as a couple of abandoned projects waiting to be stripped. Let me know clearly what you are looking to purchase and a contact phone number. I'll check for available spares and get back to you Asap. E-mail me on [email protected]

John Taylor
USA
100% scam, Dennis. Same as what my father experienced in my other post. He keeps changing his email and name.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Anyone know anything about "berryviles"?

No posts on bb and claims that "I am clearing out extra spares as well as a couple of abandoned projects waiting to be stripped. Let me know clearly what you are looking to purchase and a contact phone number. I'll check for available spares and get back to you Asap. E-mail me on [email protected]"

Anyone else heard from this person? Seems circumspect to me!

·
Registered
470 Posts
Anyone know anything about "berryviles"?

No posts on bb and claims that "I am clearing out extra spares as well as a couple of abandoned projects waiting to be stripped. Let me know clearly what you are looking to purchase and a contact phone number. I'll check for available spares and get back to you Asap. E-mail me on [email protected]"

Anyone else heard from this person? Seems circumspect to me!
DEFINITELY a scam. See my post #168. Probably the same evil jacka$$ using a different name and email address.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
WARNING Scam going on

Michael Lowe offering me wanted Jaeger cluster...

Hi Franjo,

Thanks for writing. Great! Her is a complete original Jaeger GTV 2000 instrument cluster in excellent shape and condition, ready to mount on. I'm asking $500 and happy to arrange delivery via USPS to your door step and would acknowledge payment via Money Gram since my PayPal is still not up and running. What's your complete shipping address?

Michael

·
Registered
894 Posts
Michael Lowe offering me wanted Jaeger cluster...

Hi Franjo,

Thanks for writing. Great! Her is a complete original Jaeger GTV 2000 instrument cluster in excellent shape and condition, ready to mount on. I'm asking $500 and happy to arrange delivery via USPS to your door step and would acknowledge payment via Money Gram since my PayPal is still not up and running. What's your complete shipping address?

Michael
The MoneyGram vs PayPal issue sounds suspiciously like the last few scammers we've heard from. If you decide to pursue this... maybe tell him you can wait until he gets his PaPal account fixed. Definitely ask him to send pix from 3 or 4 angles. That should help flush him out.

·
Registered
945 Posts
A few years ago one of these :001_9898: tried to rope me into their "I sent extra funds for your item, remit the excess via Western Union".
They actually sent a VERY convincing check that I am sure the bank would have cashed, drawn on the account of a large American corporation so it would have initially cleared.
Then the fraud would be discovered a couple of weeks later, and I would have been on the hook for the total amount and probably charged.

I realized what was going on, it was also the holiday season.
I kept the :001_9898: communicating with me via email, making excuses for not wiring the funds and keeping copies of ALL correspondence, kept the check, envelope, etc.

The ONLY people who gave a "Fig" about this were the company who's checking account the :001_9898: was abusing and their local PD.

I tried to get MY local PD to act, no interest. (But of course they would have happily arrested ME if I had cashed the check! Cops love the easy arrest)

I reached out to an FBI agent I knew through my business, on vacation but the guy manning his post told me that, "Off the record, no one is interested in anything less than six figures".

So there you have it, so long as these :001_9898: keep their act under "Six Figures" NO ONE is really even making an effort to catch them!

Western Union is the great enabler of these :001_9898:, just because their victims send to address XXXX does not prevent them withdrawing the money from a facility in 0000, even in another country!

I eventually sent all the documentation I had to the company the :001_9898: was ripping off on the off-chance they might ever get a chance to use it as evidence.

The final email I sent the :001_9898: describing his closed circle family tree and inter-species parentage was very satisfying! :grin2:

Until congress deals with this to prevent W.U. allowing funds to be withdrawn from sites other than where they are sent this :001_9898: will continue unabated!

E.O.R.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Just got an offer from Michael Lowe as well, offering me a 2L Twinspark for $1200. Sent pics and a list of items on the rebuild. Also gave me the line about not having Paypal up and running. I refused any other method of payment so he said he activated an account. I wanted to speak to him about the engine and the "work" number he gave goes to a google VM account. I emailed him to call me and he did but the number was listed on my cell as "Unknown" and when I started asking detailed questions about the engine we became "disconnected"

Steve

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP,
16,232 Posts
Unfortunately, there is no Michael Lowe in the BB database.
Could someone please ask, slyly of course, what his BB user name is? His email address may be of help as well.

161 - 180 of 227 Posts