Alfa Romeo Forums banner

21 - 40 of 227 Posts

·
Registered
841 Posts
I Too have been contacted recently by "J Longman", he pm'd me after I placed an want-ad for some 101 gauges. I asked for photos of the parts, never had a reply. He also asks for an email address and a phone number.

I see you banned him, however, today, I've had another pm, as I 'bumped' my ad yesterday. Surprise surprise, I have another email from brand-new today member "speciall", which has exactly the same m.o. He says he's Robert Levick, in the UK, and to reply to him on [email protected]

He has the gauges, maybe I could send him my phone number and email address ?

It's always a gmail account, and he's obviously not bothered about being banned, he just registers under another name.

How can the BB stop this please?

Steve

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP,
16,232 Posts
BBer user speciall has been banned.
Unfortunately, there is no way to know ahead of time what the intent of a BB user may be. So the moderators can't do anything until after a 'suspicious' activity occurs and we know about it.
So, please, if anyone gets what they consider a suspicious email or private message through this BB, let us know via PM, email or post to this thread (which is now a sticky) and we will take appropriate action.

·
Registered
281 Posts
beginning to be envious. possible that longman contact everyone except me ??? :(

·
Registered
841 Posts
I Too have been contacted recently by "J Longman", he pm'd me after I placed an want-ad for some 101 gauges. I asked for photos of the parts, never had a reply. He also asks for an email address and a phone number.

I see you banned him, however, today, I've had another pm, as I 'bumped' my ad yesterday. Surprise surprise, I have another email from brand-new today member "speciall", which has exactly the same m.o. He says he's Robert Levick, in the UK, and to reply to him on [email protected]

He has the gauges, maybe I could send him my phone number and email address ?

It's always a gmail account, and he's obviously not bothered about being banned, he just registers under another name.

Steve

Once again, another username, just joined, but using "Robert Levick" again, see below:-

Do have a list of what you are looking to purchase? Can I call you? E-mail me on [email protected]

Cheers,

Robert Levick
United Kingdom.

Username autoshop, joined today.

Steve

·
Registered
281 Posts
In Italy there is the Postal Police who deals with these situations and through an email tracking 's IP

·
Premium Member
1,470 Posts
Robert Levick scammer strikes again

I listed my personal email address in a Wanted ad I placed on this BB a few days ago, and received the following brief and confusing message to my direct email address today:

Do have a list of what you are looking to purchase? Can I call you?
E-mail me on [email protected]

Cheers,

Robert Levick
United Kingdom.

What led me to believe there was something hinky about this message, is the fact that I had clearly described the exact part I wanted (down to the manufacturer and manufacturer's part number) in my Wanted ad, yet Mr. Levick's message asked me for a "list of what I was looking to purchase'.

I don't plan on contacting Mr. Robert Levick (by email or phone).

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Scam

Same here, this came via PM the other day as a response to my wanted ad from this guy calling himself "Autoshop". I also got suspicious as there was no history, 0 posts and his query was constructed in an odd way. But I see he´s banned now.....

Wanted: 101 Sprint side glass
Looking for driver´s side original glass for 101 Sprint, complete with track

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Do have a list of what you are looking to purchase? Can I call you? E-mail me on [email protected]

Cheers,

Robert Levick
United Kingdom.

·
Registered
16 Posts
More about scams

As a an (ex) IT professional, I'l throw in my 2¢ worth on scam detection. Those suggesting a Google search on the image given are absolutely correct; recycled photos shown as the part in question are a dead giveaway (as is any lame excuse like my camera is broken/email wouldn't deliver, my internet service is down). Another site for a reverse image search is TinEye:

https://www.tineye.com

When I was asked how I would buy something of more value than I would care to loose, I always suggested an eBay "Buy It Now" auction, which would be paid by PayPal. You're covered (as of the last time I had nothing better to do than read the TOS). Most sellers would like that, too, even if there is a commission, as they have protections as well. WesternUnion exists mostly for the benefit of scammers, or the very poor (whom they scam with ridiculous rates to basically send a check). When you send to WU, you essentially taping money up on a telephone pole at a busy corner. There is no house for a Postal Inspector to knock on a door if they even want to investigate. Never, never send money to anyone that way!Not even your mom!

That said , there is very little that I would go crazy on- life is too short to worry about every $37.50 purchase.

Brad

·
Registered
7,344 Posts
As a an (ex) IT professional, I'l throw in my 2¢ worth on scam detection. Those suggesting a Google search on the image given are absolutely correct; recycled photos shown as the part in question are a dead giveaway (as is any lame excuse like my camera is broken/email wouldn't deliver, my internet service is down). Another site for a reverse image search is TinEye:

https://www.tineye.com

When I was asked how I would buy something of more value than I would care to loose, I always suggested an eBay "Buy It Now" auction, which would be paid by PayPal. You're covered (as of the last time I had nothing better to do than read the TOS). Most sellers would like that, too, even if there is a commission, as they have protections as well. WesternUnion exists mostly for the benefit of scammers, or the very poor (whom they scam with ridiculous rates to basically send a check). When you send to WU, you essentially taping money up on a telephone pole at a busy corner. There is no house for a Postal Inspector to knock on a door if they even want to investigate. Never, never send money to anyone that way!Not even your mom!

That said , there is very little that I would go crazy on- life is too short to worry about every $37.50 purchase.

Brad
Well said, bravo

·
Registered
405 Posts
still a brit but with a new name

I posted a request for some giulietta parts. a very nice guy from devon england responded, Ian mcKellen. He wanted phone numbers and email and I oblidged. Was willing to sell me giulietta seats, door windows and mechanisms and more for 360 lbs. wow!! but,,,,what a deal!! no pay pal,,,delivery in 3 to 4 days. hmmm. checked on his alfabb record,,just joined. hmmmm. checked this tread and,,seems to fit the m o. Watch out for ian! Kind of a downer.

vm

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
I posted a request for some giulietta parts. a very nice guy from devon england responded, Ian mcKellen. He wanted phone numbers and email and I oblidged. Was willing to sell me giulietta seats, door windows and mechanisms and more for 360 lbs. wow!! but,,,,what a deal!! no pay pal,,,delivery in 3 to 4 days. hmmm. checked on his alfabb record,,just joined. hmmmm. checked this tread and,,seems to fit the m o. Watch out for ian! Kind of a downer.

vm
Hi,

I wonder what objective these people have by demanding phone numbers and emails as normally it is not anything unusual, but in these cases there must some ulterior motive.

Or rather how do they intent to pursue their scam with the help of this info.

Dennis

·
16,232 Posts
rosso,

Can you provide the AlfaBB user name or email address of Ian McKellen?
Thanks!

Jim
Administrator

·
Registered
281 Posts
These fraud attempts are starting to become a problem....

·
16,232 Posts
Thanks for the info, rosso.
User mckellen has been banned. This users IP address, just like a few of these other recent suspicious PMs and emails, are all based in the same country. And it isn't England.
Just for grins, do a search on Ian McKellen.

·
Push hard and live
8,910 Posts
Gay, er "Gray" wizard.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Thanks for the info, rosso.
User mckellen has been banned. This users IP address, just like a few of these other recent suspicious PMs and emails, are all based in the same country. And it isn't England.
Just for grins, do a search on Ian McKellen.

Ian McKellen, Actor: The Lord of the Rings GANDALF!!!!

·
Registered
841 Posts
Gandalf is at it again :-

Wanted :- 101 Giulietta Sprint / Spider Dashboard Gauges Wanted all three dashboard
Hi,

I still have some parts in stock I can throw your way. Let me have a list of what you are looking to purchase and a phone number to reach you. E-mail me on [email protected]

Cheers,

Ian McKellen
Devon, United Kingdom.

Can we ban this joker please ?

Steve

21 - 40 of 227 Posts