Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1993 164L. I have two warning lights illuminated: "Brake Fluid Level" and "Brake Pads Wear". The fluid level and the brake pads are good.

Can I test the float switch in the brake fluid reservoir by connecting/jumping the two wires that connect to it?

Can I test the brake pads and their wires by connecting/jumping the two wires that connect to the brake pads?

·
Premium Member
27,001 Posts
1993 164L. I have two warning lights illuminated: "Brake Fluid Level" and "Brake Pads Wear". The fluid level and the brake pads are good.

Can I test the float switch in the brake fluid reservoir by connecting/jumping the two wires that connect to it?

Can I test the brake pads and their wires by connecting/jumping the two wires that connect to the brake pads?
Yes to both jumper them to complete circuits.

·
Premium Member
15,868 Posts
That happens with my 91S sometimes. I found that by wiggling the small switch that the brake pedal reacts against under the dash, they go out. I think that switch is not working well in my case. I should replace it someday, but it doesn't happen all the time. Usually when the weather gets cold, and then not all the time. If I step on the brake pedal they will also go out.

May not be your problem.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Check your fuse, actually replace it, and try to clean the contacts in the fusebox. That was happening with mine until the fusebox started to melt at the "STOP LIGHTS" fuse.

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The warning lights are out! First I checked the fuse, it was OK. Then I swaped the switch at the brake pedal with one from the parts car, lights still ON. Then I connected the two wires at the brake fluid reservoir, lights still on. Then I unplugged the right side brake pad wire and jumped the wires, lights went OUT. The wires looked good, wiggling them didn't help. So I found an old brake pad set (Steve says never through out an old Alfa part), cut off the plug end with 2" of wire, soldered them together, shrink wrapped, and plugged it in. Thanks for the comments.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
You got me motivated to check mine.

My dash BRAKE light is from a bad sensor in the new reservoir cap I got not too long ago. So if I just unplug those wires, that light goes out. The old cap works, but a seal on the underside of that cap crumbled apart, which was the original reason I replaced it.

Regarding pad wear sensors, I just left those wires hanging out of the way, and I've never had that light on since the brake job.

My ABS light is also intermittent, even with both rear sensors disconnected.

Now the coolant level sensor is on the fritz too! I can jump those wires to make that light go out.

·
Premium Member
15,868 Posts
Lol, don't too carried away.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts