Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently on my '91 164 L I had to replace the low pressure side port (where the refrigerant is added), I only had to replace the 134A valve that was threaded onto the original schrader valve, so it wasn't a big deal. When I was ready to recharge the system I saw that 1.25 kilos was specified. So far I have only put in around 600 grams, and the pressure is around 40 psi. I haven't gone higher than that because soon after that it goes into the 'danger' zone on my gauge. When I turn the a/c on, the air is slightly cooled, but makes hardly any difference on a warm day. So my question is how much refrigerant should I add and/or to what psi should I go. Thank you!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Stop adding refrigerant! That is the very last thing you do with any refrigeration system. Check to see if the compressor is running, check the cabin fan and the condenser coil fan. Make sure your relays are in check and check the capacitors.

·
Premium Member
27,286 Posts
If you removed low pressure valve and depleted freon YOU THEN have to evacuate system with a vacumn pump before you can add freon.

You need servicing gauges and manifold to do this reservicing correctly.

As for your color coded gauge you need to have system on and compressor clutch working to measure pressure with it. If you have 40 psi on it with system working you have enough freon but if 40 with system off you are low.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts