Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy,

Looking for lightweight body panels for my Spider (105/115, S3 but any generation really) - specifically hood, trunk, door panels. I assume some people here used to race spiders with the SCCA, there must be left over parts and goodies from back then!

I am located in Illinois (Chicago suburbs) but willing to take a drive.

Best,
--Andre

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I've never heard of anyone making them. This guy has hoods, though.

Yeah, unlike the GTV, none of the major Alfa parts suppliers seem to have done fiberglass panels. I'm sure someone did some custom one-off panels somewhere, but you might be better off just DIYing at that point. I'm afraid there are probably cheaper and more effective ways at reducing weight at this point. Perhaps you could send a note to Alfaholics inquiring. They've done GTA-R spiders, so perhaps they've gotten other inquiries about lightweight panels for them. Perhaps enough inquiries would inspire them to do do a production run.

·
Premium Member
1,403 Posts
Hello Andre,
We specialize in making all kind and sorts of fibreglass parts.
We can certainly make the parts you require, not inexpensive, as moulds have to be pulled,
but certainly can be done. If there were more requests, of course price would be lower, as the mould making process
would be shared.
Please write to: alberto.guirola at gmail.com
Regards, Alberto

·
Registered
248 Posts
I still have, from my 67 Ausca Duetto, two front fenders, a nose panel, and a hood (needs corners reglassed). Located in Western Pennsylvania. The hood may be suitable for a street car. The fenders have no provisions for lights and to incorporate lights would be an undertaking. The nose panel would be of negligible benefit for street use and requires fabrication of a supporting subframe, If you're going full race, these items would be useful.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Hi Andre,

Some 15 years ago I bought both L and R front bumpers for the 105 spider in chromed plastic, I never did something with them.
The weight is just above 500 gramms each. They came from the US but I can't remember any details anymore. I'll try to make some pictures to post them here if interested.

Thierry

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I still have, from my 67 Ausca Duetto, two front fenders, a nose panel, and a hood (needs corners reglassed). Located in Western Pennsylvania. The hood may be suitable for a street car. The fenders have no provisions for lights and to incorporate lights would be an undertaking. The nose panel would be of negligible benefit for street use and requires fabrication of a supporting subframe, If you're going full race, these items would be useful.
Very interesting! Could you shoot me some pictures? I believe you are right that the hood is of primary interest, but the car will have mixed autocross/light street duty, so I might be interested on the whole lot if you're willing to part with it.

Hi Andre,

Some 15 years ago I bought both L and R front bumpers for the 105 spider in chromed plastic, I never did something with them.
The weight is just above 500 gramms each. They came from the US but I can't remember any details anymore. I'll try to make some pictures to post them here if interested.

Thierry
Hi Thierry, I would definitely like to take a look at them! Could you shoot me some pictures?

·
Premium Member
1,403 Posts
Andre, a question, do you want something ready to bolt on, made with new materials, as it really is the easiest,
or ready and have the skills to adapt an amalgam of items?

Not trying to move in on anyone, but my stuff is: take off the old parts, bolt on the new ones,
can send prepainted if desired

Regards, Alberto

·
Registered
248 Posts
ANDRE: I doubt I can arrange any pictures before May. I'm a snowbird and go north then. The panels are "in the rafters" and not easily accessible. I would sell them all for $250.
To be more descriptive of the hood, I must mention it is "pinned" at the rear corners, with no interior handle release. I can't remember if it was hinged in the front, or "pinned" I would think the latter, for full under hood access. The other panels were Zeus fastener attached. Bob [email protected]

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Andre, a question, do you want something ready to bolt on, made with new materials, as it really is the easiest,
or ready and have the skills to adapt an amalgam of items?
Thank you, Alberto! I am pretty handy and usually work on my own stuff, I was considering a DIY route but the cost of making my own panels is prohibitive. Hence, I was looking for used panels. Do you have a rough estimate on the cost of a brand new hood? Depending on the cost, we could explore a group buy here on the forums.

ANDRE: I doubt I can arrange any pictures before May. I'm a snowbird and go north then. The panels are "in the rafters" and not easily accessible. I would sell them all for $250.
Understood, Bob. I've sent you an e-mail.

Andre, I sent you a pm with a phone number of someone I know in California. Give him a call. Peter
Thanks Peter, you rock!

·
Registered
397 Posts
Hi Andre and all,

Here some pictures of the front bumper in chromed plastic.
Does anybody knew that this was avalable in the US at that time?

Thierry

1 - 12 of 12 Posts