Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anybody refer me to a photo or id method to id the correct front cover/chaincover for a 1960 Giulietta Veloce block #AR0010601340? I know it would be just a tad shorter on some Veloce but would like to locate it. I can remember paying through the nose for this longblock because I desperately needed the perfect crank inside for a race engine but have heads and front covers laying everywhere in the attic and no idea which goes with which.

Thanks in advance,
[email protected]

PS. To save us all some time, I sold the pan many years ago and don't think I have much, if any other Veloce stuff.

·
Premium Member
21,672 Posts
I can take a pic of mine tomorrow AM. Would have one front holddown tang between head and front cover, pad for rear-facing mechanical fuel pump with block-off plate, bored-through opening for front seal. i don't think it'd be different from a Normale would it? I'd think interchangeable with Normale except that blanking plate for the fuel pump.
Andrew

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
I own a 1961 Sprint Veloce engine 10106 02336 and it uses the same front cover as a Normale engine. I had a 1957 Spider Normale and my friend owned a 1959 Spider Veloce engine in a 1959 Spider Normale body and the front cover was the same for both engines. The SS or SV engine used a front cover that was about 0.060" shorter than a Veloce or Normale front cover. The ideal was to increase the compression ratio. The Veloce, SS and SV heads were milled about 0.060 less than a Normale engine to increase compression ratio.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
I rebuilt another friend's 1961 SS and used a Borgo piston and liner kit that I purchased from a Beck/Arnley Dealer in New Mexico forty years ago. I actually purchased three SS/SV Borgo piston and liner kits from that dealer and another 800 pounds of Alfa parts. I still have more than 120 RIV bearings for a 2000 (102)/2600 rear axle.

·
Administrator
3,805 Posts
Curtis not all Veloce motors were 'decked' to be a tad shorter, those are the 10120 Sprint Speciale motors you are thinking of. Some 10106 motors were decked by their owners in later life in an effort to increase performance, but not many as it required stripping the complete motor down to do it.

Turn the block upside down & also the front cover, there should be a small 4 digit number stamped on the underside - block & head numbers should match. As Andrew says, one tank at the head & a fuel blank-off plate at the pump area below the dizzy.

Ciao
Greig

·
Premium Member
21,672 Posts
I had forgotten the decked issue. Greig, is there anything definitive to be said about when/which cars got so treated?

I don't think a photo of mine will be able to convey the difference between a decked and nondecked one, but I'll get a pic today (engine in car).

Andrew

·
Administrator
3,805 Posts
Hi Andrew

Only the SS & SZ motors were decked by the Factory.

I'm pretty sure Conrero, Facetti and the other "Preparetore" decked the hot motors they built, in addition owners may have decked block for racing over the last 50 years. I have a '58 Veloce block + front cover which have been decked by a PO in a past life.

The only way to tell for sure is to fit a known standard length liner into a block, if it's really proud by more than the thickness of an unused head gasket, it's been decked. The liners in decked blocks have also been milled shorter.

Ciao
Greig

·
Registered
679 Posts
Only the 10120 engines are cut down 0,8mm from the factory.
My liners are shorter also.
Front lid is the same as a normale only decked.

·
Premium Member
21,672 Posts
Wow, what a thing to have.
Thanks, all this info is helpful. So decking was in the range of .060"?
Andrew

·
Administrator
3,805 Posts
Normale & Veloce used the same front cover - the 4 or 5 stamped digits underneath will match a cover to a block. The Veloce gained a bolt on fuel pump blank off plate, the Normale gained a bolt on fuel pump.

That cover will work with any 101 Series 1300 Giulietta block, even my '61 Ti. It won't however work with a block (any block) that has been decked.

Ciao
Greig

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you everyone. Very helpful. Will give a look next weekend now that I know what I am looking for. On the BB you ask a question one day and then 3 days later you know everything there is to know on the subject, and then some LOL!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts