Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know these are quite rare, but does anyone know of a Hardtop for sale suitable for a Giulietta Spider 101 series. Condition not really important as long as complete with rear window and fittings.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hi webbyrog,

I expect you are in the USA?

I have a steel hardtop that i was fettling to fit my 1963 101.23 1600 Giulia spider.

The car is sold but the hardtop is still with me. It needs new rubbers but the rest is good. It even has sexy smoked green sunvisors!

I am in germany and I bought the hardtop from Italy.

Let me know if you are interested?

Nick

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nick, Thanks for the offer - I'm actually in the UK and since posting the Wanted thread, I've actually located a hardtop here which I'm hoping to collect this weekend.
Good luck with the sale of yours - they're quite rare, so hopefully you won't have too much trouble.
Regards,
Roger.

·
Super Moderator
11,879 Posts
PF Steel Hardtops.

AlfaGTV74,
Use some degree of caution when you find one. There are several PF variations. Excluding the 750 tops, the 101 variations include a style that bolts to the rear deck, with a PF serial number plate (early 101 1300 only). Later style hooked into the trunk hinge hooks like the soft top, with a PF serial number plate (later 101 1300 & 1600). Finally, the last of them hooked into the trunk hinges but had no PF serial number plate under the rear window (late 1965). When all of these were made, they were selected to come close to fitting the car they may have been ordered with. If they were bought from an Alfa dealer as a separate item, fit was often less than good, and the skill of a good body man was required. This is the reason, besides painted, they were also factory available in primer only. These can be restored as ALFASTOP in G.B. offers many parts, and Pat Hung at Velocespace has the best rubber trim.
The same was also true of the PF tops for the 250 Ferrari's. Each was hand fitted to a particular car, and if the top is sold for another car, it needed to be refitted. I studied these tops, and looked at as many different variations as I could discover for about 45 years. Yes, I have one, period correct and fitted to my late '65 Veloce. No, I do not know of any for sale. They may not be inexpensive, fitting, and restoration by a good shop that knows how to do it (a good vintage Ferrari body shop) will charge for the work.

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Gordon,
Thanks for the info. on the PF hardtops - very interesting. I've just bought a top that came off a 1962 Giulietta Spider (or so I'm told) and am hoping to fit it to my 1960 interim 101 Spider. I'm planning to strip the hardtop first then marry it up to the car to make sure it will fit before repainting and retrimming the top. I have the two front fasteners (top to windscreen) but not sure what fasteners were used on the sides (behind each window) or the two rear fasteners which clip to the trunk hinges. Do you have any pics. of the inside of your hardtop showing the fasteners etc, you could e-mail - ([email protected]). Also, I notice you have a bright trim strip on the lower rear edge of your hardtop - is this a standard PF strip or did you add this yourself ? - I only have the bright trim strip on the front leading edge running around both sides and then down into the window recesses plus a strip around the rear window. Any light you can throw on this would be helpful.
Regards,
Roger.

·
Super Moderator
11,879 Posts
Hi Roger,
My top is a late '65 production and has everything it came with. It is not restored. The late tops like my '65 did not have side hooks, just those in front to the windshield frame, and two along the back edge that interface with the hooks on the trunk hinges. I will find some pictures, and e-mail to you. If your car is an interim '60, it probably has either holes in the rear deck, soft and hard top fasten here with wing-nuts, OR the 750 style hooks that live in front of the trunk hinges. The easy solution would be the late style trunk hinges with included hooks, (late 101) available from Christian Ondrak at OK parts and engineering in Germany. These are expensive, but an excellent reproduction, IF your hardtop and softtop have the sockets to accept the hooks. From my experience, the fasteners on the sides are only required if the top uses the hooks separate from the trunk hinges, as the 750's.
More in an e-mail later tonight. My e-mail is <[email protected]>.

·
Premium Member
1,213 Posts
The easy solution would be the late style trunk hinges with included hooks, (late 101) available from Christian Ondrak at OK parts and engineering in Germany.
I don't think the later one-piece hinge / hook, fits the early 750 style hinge and separate hook. At lease on mine they didn't. Different hole spacing.

George

·
Super Moderator
11,879 Posts
Well that idea is out. Thanks George!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Gordon & George - my car is stripped and away being restored at present, so I will check exactly which trunk/boot hinges it has and go from there. I know the hardtop has two threaded holes each side to accept the side fasteners as well of course as the two holes each front side to accept the screen fasteners. If need be, I will fabricate my own rear fasteners depending on which boot hinge/hook I have.
Thanks again for your input. Any ideas where I can get the bright trim for the lower rear edge of the hardtop as shown on Gordon's car ?

Roger.

·
Registered
581 Posts
AlfaGTV74,
Use some degree of caution when you find one. There are several PF variations. Excluding the 750 tops, the 101 variations include a style that bolts to the rear deck, with a PF serial number plate (early 101 1300 only). Later style hooked into the trunk hinge hooks like the soft top, with a PF serial number plate (later 101 1300 & 1600). Finally, the last of them hooked into the trunk hinges but had no PF serial number plate under the rear window (late 1965). When all of these were made, they were selected to come close to fitting the car they may have been ordered with. If they were bought from an Alfa dealer as a separate item, fit was often less than good, and the skill of a good body man was required. This is the reason, besides painted, they were also factory available in primer only. These can be restored as ALFASTOP in G.B. offers many parts, and Pat Hung at Velocespace has the best rubber trim.
The same was also true of the PF tops for the 250 Ferrari's. Each was hand fitted to a particular car, and if the top is sold for another car, it needed to be refitted. I studied these tops, and looked at as many different variations as I could discover for about 45 years. Yes, I have one, period correct and fitted to my late '65 Veloce. No, I do not know of any for sale. They may not be inexpensive, fitting, and restoration by a good shop that knows how to do it (a good vintage Ferrari body shop) will charge for the work.
thank you for the great info Gordon, I have a 63 giulia spider, and therefore not the late or early type of hardtop...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi Nick:
I am interesting in your hardtop if you still have it on sale, I hope your answer thanks, I'm in Spain, best regards
Jose Angel

·
Registered
8,169 Posts
For sale in Giuliettaletta;;;

A fully restored hardtop for a 101 Series Alfa Romeo Giulietta Spider, does not fit the car it is pictured on as it is approximately 1.5 inches too long., repainted, retrimmed, with new rear window and sealing rubbers, complete with hardtop stand, purchased in error by the last owner (deceased) for his 750 series car, located in Hertford (UK)
PLEASE NOTE...the car IS NOT FOR SALE
£2500 or offer, for more details contact [email protected]

Eine komplett restaurierte Hardtop für ein 101-Serie Alfa Romeo Giulietta Spider, paßt nicht in das Auto auf dem Bild ist, wie es etwa 1,5 Zentimeter zu lang ist., Neu lackiert, neu getrimmt, mit neuen Heckscheibe und Dichtungsgummis, komplett mit Hardtop stehen, gekauft in Fehler vom letzten Besitzer (verstorben) für seine 750-Serie Auto, in Hertford entfernt (UK

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hello every one,

Just to add some extra info on the subject:

In the back of the hardtop, at the place where it catches the chrome hook on the rear body, there are 2 holes on the inside: here was fitted a L-shaped hook to hang the hardtop to the garage wall. (If needed I can send pictures to any e-mail address which needs to see it. When I bought my hardtop, the hooks were on the hardtop. I have reason to believe these are original... )

My hardtop hooks
-into the sides of the car with hinge hooks like the soft top
-onto the front window with hinge hooks like the soft top and
-into the back onto the same place where the softop is located.

It is under the back window labelled with a PF serial number plate (nr 11599)
And ...it has the same trim as Gordon's hardtop on the front, sides and onto the back.
I bought the hardtop seperatly ... and it fitted right from the start, guess I was lucky! No idea of its year of fabrication.
Heavy!!! you need 2 persons to put the hardtop onto the car!
Hope this helps...

jp
Belgium

looking for a 1.75 needle valve for a solex APAI carburetor... anyone an extra one on the shelves, I can buy?

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Hi webbyrog,

I expect you are in the USA?

I have a steel hardtop that i was fettling to fit my 1963 101.23 1600 Giulia spider.

The car is sold but the hardtop is still with me. It needs new rubbers but the rest is good. It even has sexy smoked green sunvisors!

I am in germany and I bought the hardtop from Italy.

Let me know if you are interested?

Nick
Nick,

Any chans you could post pics of your hardtop sunvisors?

That´s if you still have any left as I see your post is from 2011.....

Dennis

1 - 20 of 30 Posts