Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My neighbor forgot to put the hand brake on their car and it rolled in reverse down the driveway into my stepnose Alfa ! I am now looking for a front left hand guard that I can restore. Ideally someone selling one in Australia would good BUT WILL consider other countries also. Send me a PM and I will get back to you.
Tim

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
not good Tim, is it on insurance?

·
Administrator
14,463 Posts
My neighbor forgot to put the hand brake on their car and it rolled in reverse down the driveway into my stepnose Alfa ! I am now looking for a front left hand guard that I can restore. Ideally someone selling one in Australia would good BUT WILL consider other countries also. Send me a PM and I will get back to you.
Tim
Can't be beaten out by a professional?

Pete

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Pete the amount of time to try and straighten it would be considerable. Steve I would still need to replace the end making the proposal uneconomical but thanks for your consideration.
I need a complete guard with a one or two small dents and a rusty bottom part that I can fix.
Tim

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Hi Tim, do you have a photo of the damage to get an idea of what you need?

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I also have a second hand one. This one has been removed from a 2L GTV. It has a reasonable repair at the bottom of the fender. Removed with reuse in mind. It does have a poor repair at the front.Its been cleaned of paint, filler and tar and then etched primed. The water rail at the top is still present with some of the inner fender still attached. Regards Steve

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I spoke with a panel guy who is going to come and check it for me in two weeks fingers crossed.
Tim

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Have you tried rob at manning motors

·
Administrator
14,463 Posts
Many years ago my father forgot to put the hand brake on in his shop ute. It ran into a wall and looked seriously stuffed in the right front guard. Amazingly the panel shop fixed it easily, by somehow working it straight again.

We non-panel beaters have a heart attack, but my once-a-panel-beater brother in law always says, "give me a bent car anyday over a rusty one"

Remember also cutting out and welding in a replacement guard is a tricky job. A lot of fitting and heat management required. This is not a modern simply unbolt and replace guard job.

Best of luck, and will be interesting to see what the expert says after they have a look
Pete

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
By the sounds of your request I doubt the insurance is going to help much.
I think you should take this opportunity to consider your options.
The demand for the stepnose cars is still high,
1. You can either sell the damaged car
2. Repair it or( NOS steel fenders go for about $2-4k AUD, about the same price of an alloy reproduction fender)
3. Turning your Sprint GT car into to an alloy GTA tribute car it will cost you about $30k in parts plus freight and taxes. Some of the alloy panels can also be made from scratch here in Australia by the skilled individuals like Tim Doyle.
To offset some of the costs, you can sell the good steel panels you take off the car to the others in Australia looking to restore their steel stepnose cars.

I think owners of stepnose cars have various options to consider.
Good luck with repairing your car.
Regards Steve

·
Administrator
14,463 Posts
Give $3k to an experienced panel beater and let them fix the current guard

I agree that insurance is not going to be helpful here, but Steve ... sigh
Pete

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
You would want to check there is no other damage like structural chassis being distorted before you start with fender repair. Tim Doyle has the Alfa 105 chassis rail checking jigs.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts