Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
74 GTV
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,
I'm new to the forum and the Alfa World! Bought a 74 GTV and was looking to switch to 40 Webers. It was suggested to me to start a thread here to get any help looking for a Euro manifold and a throttle pedal assembly. Any suggestions or leads to where I could get these would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
4,403 Posts
Welcome to this BB. I sent you a Private Message.

Regards

Ken

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Welcome to the BB forum !

·
Super Moderator
11,655 Posts
You may know this, but if not, be aware that you'll need a few more pieces besides the manifold and pedal. Like a spica pump block-off plate, vibration isolators, bellcrank, rods, carb support strut and some sort of air cleaner(s).

Centerline used to sell complete conversion kits - they're out of stock now - but this picture from their website shows all the components except the rods and air filter(s):

·
Registered
74 GTV
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You may know this, but if not, be aware that you'll need a few more pieces besides the manifold and pedal. Like a spica pump block-off plate, bellcrank, rods, carb support strut and some sort of air cleaner(s). LOTS written here on the BB about these conversions.
Thanks Jay! Ya I'm working with a mechanic and he told me to start looking for these two ASAP. I've got a laundry list of other parts like you've mentioned, but I'm excited to dive in and get on the hunt for what we'll need

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
IMHO I would stay with Spica. Some mechanics are quick to dump it to the trash. You didn't say what's the current status of your Spica system.... running, running rough, dead, missing?

·
Super Moderator
12,228 Posts
For the conversion you also need a Filter King fuel pressure regulator or the older FISPA FRB 11 unit rebuilt with modern fuel proof components

·
Registered
74 GTV
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
IMHO I would stay with Spica. Some mechanics are quick to dump it to the trash. You didn't say what's the current status of your Spica system.... running, running rough, dead, missing?
Spica is running fine. If I were to stick with the Spica, where can I improve the engine to give it some power?

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
If its running fine, don't mess with it or change to carbs. Without going too deep into the engine and your pockets, look at installing mild performance cams, and electronic ignition. That's all you really need. You'll have all the performance you need, better gas mileage and less tuning upkeep. There is a huge misconception out there that carbs will perform better that Spica, but I won't get into it here!

Reactions: kengta

·
Registered
74 GTV
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If its running fine, don't mess with it or change to carbs. Without going too deep into the engine and your pockets, look at installing mild performance cams, and electronic ignition. That's all you really need. You'll have all the performance you need, better gas mileage and less tuning upkeep. There is a huge misconception out there that carbs will perform better that Spica, but I won't get into it here!
Appreciate the info! I'll definitely take that into consideration

·
Premium Member
1,475 Posts
Exactly! What he said.

·
Premium Member
5,703 Posts
As much as I love Spica the big drawback is trying to hotrod it. If you try to go more than a euro cam you'll be wasting money. If recommend sending the pump to Wes to have it upgraded. Then your hi lift cams, head work, headers, etc will make a huge difference.

Since you're looking at about 8 months turn around you might find a Spica core cheap. Then you could sell your good stock pump for decent money when the rebuilt arrives.

BTW, just replacing a good running Spica pump with a euro carb set up won't net much more than a pair of Webers that need tinkering to run as well as the Spica you just took out...

·
Registered
74 GTV
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
As much as I love Spica the big drawback is trying to hotrod it. If you try to go more than a euro cam you'll be wasting money. If recommend sending the pump to Wes to have it upgraded. Then your hi lift cams, head work, headers, etc will make a huge difference.

Since you're looking at about 8 months turn around you might find a Spica core cheap. Then you could sell your good stock pump for decent money when the rebuilt arrives.

BTW, just replacing a good running Spica pump with a euro carb set up won't net much more than a pair of Webers that need tinkering to run as well as the Spica you just took out...
Keep the Spica It is part of the charm.
View attachment 1674501 View attachment 1674502

I appreciate the feedback. I have much more to think about now with the SPICA v Carb decision.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Keep the Spica It is part of the charm.
IMG_4401.jpg IMG_5500.jpeg
A work of art! Too bad the pump is hidden down below, basically out of sight! :confused:

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Very interesting idle air plenum set-up. Does this allow for improved smooth idle and more range for adjusting idle rpm? Where does the tube at the rear of the plenum go?
(Sorry OP, I don't mean to highjack your thread. If this was discussed elsewhere, my applogies in advance).

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,475 Posts
Very interesting idle air plenum set-up. Does this allow for improved smooth idle and more range for adjusting idle rpm? Where does the tube at the rear of the plenum go?
(Sorry OP, I don't mean to highjack your thread. If this was discussed elsewhere, my applogies in advance).

Thanks
Looks the the tube at the back isn’t actually connected to the idle plenum but to the rigid tube from the valve cover for the fuel tank vent line. My apologies. I'm wrong.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Looks the the tube at the back isn’t actually connected to the idle plenum but to the rigid tube from the valve cover for the fuel tank vent line.
That tube goes to the MAP sensor. I built the larger manifold so it would get an accurate reading. That car is running a electromotive ignition.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts