Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,331 Posts
Home Depot as great plastic boxes. HD! Black box and yellow lid.
Have used them before, great!
Might have to remove sump as too wide. No way a wood crate for less....

Regards, Alberto

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks,Alberto. I'll look into it.
I'd rather have a crate that will take a fully assembled engine.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
I recently bought a Uline crate to ship a block in. Super easy to put together and very sturdy. I went with the standard crate but you might need something a little larger. The crate I bought could have handled the weight but not sure about the dimensions: https://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/S-9921/Wood-Crates/Wood-Crate-24-x-20-x-20

https://www.uline.com/Grp_408/Wood-Crates?pricode=WL965&utm_source=Bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=uline crate&utm_campaign=Boxes, Corrugated&AdKeyword=uline crate&AdMatchtype=e&&msclkid=d414174eb47219a64bec4ad4faee5154&gclid=CIT1mtG8iOUCFVXhDQodXN0KEw&gclsrc=ds

Chuck

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
I just built a crate for a 1750 engine. I found a wooden pallet and used 3/4 plywood (2 - 4x8 sheets) and 2x4 to construct the crate. The wood was purchased from Home Depot for $85 including a hold down strap and "I" bolts. I measure the size of the engine without a water pump and used the following dimensions:

Top 21 1/2 inches
Bottom 20 x 27 inches
Sides (2) 27 x 26 inches
Ends (2) 21 1/2 x 27 inches

2x4 (4) 26 inches

4' x 4' plywood sheet attached to the pallet for strength

drilled holes for "i" bolts and used a strap to hold down the engine.

I have built several engine crates, transmission crates and differential crates and had no problems. I once had UPS package a transmission and it suffered a broken bell housing. I will never send any heavy part using a paper box.

·
Registered
7,346 Posts
I've shipped engines coast to coast through the USPO for less than $250..including flywheel and intakes.. not exhaust manifold. Receiver couldn't believe it wa possible. It helps if it apart but it is really kind of a challenge I relish. I realize this might not wet your whistle but it really is a simple way to do it if you are retired. My bathroom scale has had a workout. Uncle

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
The shipping cost using a freight company is not that expensive but, I do not want to send a bare engine on a pallet without protection. The engines (102 2000 Spider engine, 750 Veloce engine, 1750 engine and 2L Alfetta engine) that I have sent were rebuilt and ready to run. I rebuilt the 102 2000 Spider engine for fun in the 1970's and sent it to New York State.

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
I went to Home Depot and they cut the plywood to the dimensions and was able to use 2 1/2" wood screws to put the box together. Good luck

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've got all the tools and a shop to build a crate. I don't have an 105 engine on the floor to build to.

·
Premium Member
849 Posts
I am prepping to ship some transmissions that I want to re;use the crates. So this week I'll be talking w/carpenters that hopefully can fill the request. Any suggestions from you that have chimed in? I'd appreciate any suggestions. Even humor :grin2:
Thank you

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
I've got all the tools and a shop to build a crate. I don't have an 105 engine on the floor to build to.
Without the oil pan, a 1750 motor runs 23" L x 19.5 H x 14 W (with breather removed from valve cover). The oil pan is 21" L x 18" W x 7" H. If you split the oil pan I think it would all fit in a 24" x 20" x 20" crate.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Without the oil pan, a 1750 motor runs 23" L x 19.5 H x 14 W (with breather removed from valve cover). The oil pan is 21" L x 18" W x 7" H. If you split the oil pan I think it would all fit in a 24" x 20" x 20" crate.
Thanks, that's a big help if/when I build the crate myself.

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
I have a 105 Giulia Super engine and it is one inch shorter than the 1750 engine. The difference is the block height. The crate I made for the 1750 engine should fit. The breather was removed from the valve cover.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts