Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a rubber mat either Repro or original for a 1961 SS #389. The current supplier claims the mat they are peddling is for the Giulietta. I have received and returned the mats from the usual suspects. The original does not go to the rear light panel and is not as wide. I have attached photos of my original mats and the repros that are available.

Attachments

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Andrew for you suggestion I will try veloce space. I have tried reoriginals- had talked to Matt mr. Fiat and cicognan iguornizoni. (Who all the suppliers seem to acquire their supplies from. ) I have also looked at photos of several giuliettas that were restored where the mat falls away from the gas tank support due to a lack of the shelf that was used in a Giulia. I guess I shall continue to look or repair mine.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Could you explain what you're objecting to? I have a 1961 SS with the original mat and the replacement bought from Cicognani, from whom, as you said, all the US/UK suppliers get their rubber parts.

They're identical, pretty much - behind the gas cap the rubber falls into the "trough" that runs along the rear of the gas tank - but it covers the wiring there and looks neat. I'm not sure what you want it to do, but I'd like to understand for my own car. That original one in your picture seems to have the opening for the fuel-filler in the wrong place (to central?) but maybe that's an optical illusion.

Thanks,

-Richard

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Richard, there is a SS on the forum from the Giulietta forum on March 12, 2013. This SS #379 1961 has photos that show a mat like mine that is open at the bottom of the fuel filler neck as it goes around this area instead on over the filler. This car 379 was reported by Bill Noon at Symbolic motors and is reported as an original SS. My SS is #389 also 1961. I have a full history from original owner on. It spent its time in New Mexico and Arizona. The original mat is brittle and as fragile as glass. It was stuck to the tank area due to the crud and interaction with the paint undercoat in the extreme heat. My friend has a Giulia SS his car had a bracket system and shelf that goes between the tank area and the rear light panel This supports the extended mat. Mine has no such bracket or evidence of any . I have been working at this for the past 10 years and dealing with the details now. I am currently repair the mat and will attempt to send photos when it is in place. Thanks Bill

1 - 5 of 5 Posts