Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I have given up on replacing the U-Joint on my drivehsaft, I had no issue replacing the rear most but the center U-Joint has been nothing but problems.
A friend who is a professional mechanic and has been this for decades has been assisting me, and he and I came to the conclusion that the yoke itself is warped or bent in some way.
The new U joints are a hair smaller than the original that we took out, BUT the new ones won't go in, I tried one from centerline and one from alfaholics, both ended in the same result.

Here is a photo of the section of the driveshaft I need, it looks like none of the usual suspects offer just these parts for sale without buying a whole section of the shaft. Car is a 74' spider. Any help on getting one would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
7,351 Posts
I am not sure getting just that piece is a good idea...that is part of the sliding joint (splined joint) and is paired to the prop section with the splines.

I think you'd be better advised to look for the complete used rear section of the propshaft.
(like you say, you can buy a rear prop section new, but that's 250 bucks)

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Because the shaft would need balancing (I assume)? or due to part fitment.

I assumed that either way I would have to have the shaft balanced

·
Registered
7,351 Posts
balancing yes, that too.
But it is more to do with the splines having been wearing/working together for 40 odd years.
(like swopping around camshaft caps, you wouldn't really do that either...or shouldn't at least! ;))

On ebay there is a whole rebuilt driveshaft for 135 bucks...not hugely expensive (# 143416130660) if you ask me.

·
Premium Member
21,195 Posts
My shop found the slip joint on my Super sloppy, the four others I brought were no better, so they cut mine off and put on a standard US one of the approx size, straightened and balanced. All good. I can get the part number if needed.
Andrew

·
Premium Member
13,147 Posts
Larry at APE should have one.

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I will email APE

I sent a message the the eBay seller on the driveshaft, that looks like a good deal but the picture is too fuzzy to see anything (and he makes it clear in the description no refunds no returns).

@Andrew the part number would be great if you can share it, worst comes to worst that would be a nice option to have!

@spiderseries4 , my car only has about 81k miles on it from new, and theres no play at all with the splines, so pending the condition of the replacement...that may not be an issue. But I do see what you're saying, I dont want to fix one issue and create another with the opposite end.

·
Registered
7,351 Posts
I sent a message the the eBay seller on the driveshaft, that looks like a good deal but the picture is too fuzzy to see anything (and he makes it clear in the description no refunds no returns).
I just did a bit of searching here on BB, on the ebay seller with the prop....there was some pretty bad feedback conversations going on about him, albeit about 10 years ago...things might have improved since then, I cannot say not having ever dealt with him.
so yes, be cautious.

Dom

·
Premium Member
929 Posts
I have what you need, two choices, One as per your pic, one in pieces and one new U-joint. (both slid onto DS Spline and is tight).
DSCN1493.JPG
DSCN1494.JPG
DSCN1495.JPG
DSCN1496.JPG
$45. for either, plus $10. for the Ujoint, plus $15. Shipping. Bob in Oregon

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sending you a PM

Im still getting to know the new format LOL

·
Premium Member
21,195 Posts
So they put on my car
Spicer 5-443X
Spicer 2-3-8861X
Not sure which is the sliding joint and which is the u-joint. Used on Ford Bronco 2 and Ranger.
Andrew

·
Premium Member
1,375 Posts
I am not sure getting just that piece is a good idea...that is part of the sliding joint (splined joint) and is paired to the prop section with the splines.

I think you'd be better advised to look for the complete used rear section of the propshaft.
(like you say, you can buy a rear prop section new, but that's 250 bucks)
Hi,have one. emai [email protected] message 321 279 0922

·
Premium Member
21,195 Posts
Like I said, I had five and the driveshaft shop didn't like any of them. They wear, and folks fail to grease them. If you had a low mileage 80s or 90s Spider's shaft, that might work.
Andrew

1 - 15 of 15 Posts